Pirate 4x4 banner

4x4 problems

584 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  notstock 
#1 ·
I have a '92 toyota 4wd, 3.0 v6, p/u with auto hubs. When the 4wd is engaged the front drive shaft turns and the truck feels like its in 4wd but when trying to climb anything the front end seems to slip when under load. Also a distinct rattelling noise can be heard coming from the trans/ transfer case. Could something be slipping in the transfer case? Anyone had a similar problem? Please educate me on the subject. Thanks

#3 ·
4x4 problem

The trans is 5 speed manual. I'm not a big fan of the hubs but unsure if the problem is there. The mystery noise seems to come from the transfer case, also when climbing the truck acts as if it is in low range but only 2wd. I,ve owned a 22re with manual hubs and never had a problem like this. ????

#4 ·
my '92 was vacuum engaged at the diff, hence the auto hubs. That seems like it's common to go out....just a thought. Put the truck on stands, put it in 4x4, and set it in drive in 1st 4lo. Then look at underneath - if the dshaft is turning and tires arent, problem is in the third/hubs. If driveshaft not turning, problem is in the case. If tires are turning and dshaft isn't, something really fucking weird is happening. Torch the shit and get insurance for it...and get a honda or something

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.