Pirate 4x4 banner

Milling head on 22RE?

9K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  hseaver 
#1 ·
How much can I mill the head on my '91 22RE engine? I want to get at least 12:1, preferably 13:1 CR.

#2 ·
my 22r head is haved .015 and i was told thta is pretty much the max you can take off? I was told anymore than that and you have to use a shimmed HG.

#12 ·
I just laugh because trying to get a bump of 4 compression points via milling is rather insane.

For example, on my Acura motor, you can safely cut about 0.030 off it, that bumps you about 0.7 comp.

You'd end up taking around an 1/8th of an inch to get compression like that.

If you are too dumb to understand that, you are too dumb to build an engine that runs at 13:1 comp. There are questions in life that if you have to ask, the answer is no.

#13 ·
Hrey guys . I just changed my head gasket , timing chain steel guides , had the head machined , actually rebuilt . I set the timing at 5 degrees ( 22re) & its the timing feels retarded . I need to bump it up to about 12 degrees & it runs ok . I just want to be able to drive it .
I am wondering if they machined too much of the head ?

#20 ·
To sort of answer part of the Q.

My Machine Shop (Jess Miller - West Chester PA) states that he will not mill a 22RE head more than 0.020".

Mine took two passes on the machine to clean up - 0.012" total
Looks like I can take one more pass....

But like Hagger sez... yer going the wrong way to mill a 22RE head for a huge bump in CR

#21 ·
So the only way to do it is with pistons? I see LC has 12:1 pistons for $588 or custom for $649. That's pretty expensive --- maybe I should look for a junkyard turbo setup.
What are the problems with milling the head more -- does it weaken the head? Or is it just the problem with the cam gear and timing chain slack? That seems pretty easy to deal with.

#25 ·
I thought the 22RE pistons were flat topped. That's one of the major differences between the 20R and the 22R, right? The 20R has domed pistons and a combustion chamber of hmm, 85? 88? cc, and the 22R has flat pistons and a 58cc combustion chamber? But the LC 12:1 and 12.5:1 pistons for the 22RE are clearly domed in the pictures, to give the higher CR. And that would then change the non-interference nature of the engine too, it would seem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.