Pirate 4x4 banner

Steering problems

607 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  OOP'S 
#1 ·
Hey guys whats up

I tried searching.. but my search button works like 5% of the time i use it dunno why.

I just did the chevy leaf swap on my 83, everything went smooth, I threw my rears up front, with sky's banana shackles, But now, it seems as my steering box is off center... what i mean is, I can turn 1 1/2 turns to the left and i max out on my steering box, but i can go about 4 1/2 turns to the right.... I cant make a left turn for the life of me... will a simple drop or adjustable pitman arm fix this? also sometimes I get the "Death Wobble" in my front end and have to stop in order for it to go away, I had to remove the stablizer bar that ran from the top of the axle to the frame, because it was to long, so what i'm going to do is cut it to size and mount it back up. not sure if this will cure my problem... anyways any help would be great, and i will post pictures after i add some leafs to my front pack to get my ride height to where I want it.

--Thx

boyer^

#2 ·
X-over steering!!!!!!!!!

If you insist on running the push/pull steering

1. Flip the ball on the "J" arm

2. Get/make an adjustable DL

3. Move the mount on the torque rod so that it is parallel

4. If wheeling, carry a spare "J" arm.

5. After you do this entire BS, X-over steering.

#5 ·
On P/P steering the stock DL is not adjustable. With the RUF it moves the axle forward which changes the position of the pitman arm. You may be able to remove the pitman arm, center the steering box, make sure the wheels are pointing straight, and re-install the pitman. Do not know if this will work for sure, but it is worth a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.