Pirate 4x4 banner

What is this? EFI swap...last mystery plug

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  millerjouni 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry to bother everybody with another one of these questions but...somebody's gotta know what this is off the top of their head.

This is an 88 efi harness going into my carbed 85 truck. This is the last plug that I can't figure out. My 88 harness has no plug that matches this (that I can find anyways). My buddies 87 efi truck has something pluged into it but we can't trace the wires unless we pull his dash.

It's the white plug that comes off the ignition column that's hanging there, with two yellow wires.

This is the plug from the carbed harness that goes into it..one lime green wire and another lime green wire with a black stripe.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks doods.

Joe

See less See more
#3 ·
Really? So is it built in to all harnesses pre 87 harnesses regardless of if it's standard or auto? Buddy's truck is stick and it's pluged in...mine was stick and had a plug...so I can assume it's fine to leave it disconnected?

#6 ·
auto harnesses and 5 speed harnesses are not the same. that is not a switch for any auto trans setup, the difference will be where the harnesses plug together near the computer if so.

get a fsm for the 2, or a haynes manual and start going through the diagrams, they help a lot if you got a little understanding of automotive wiring.

#7 ·
Lol that's the problem....I don't understand the wiring in the fsm...so was kinda hoping someone might be able to quickly answer it. I'm still putting it all back together....just have the o2 sensor to mount into the exhaust and then I should be able to fire it up...once I figure out what this plug is.

Any other ideas? Joe

#10 ·
im about to do the same swap only from an 87 runner efi into an 84 carbbed truck. im doing the whole dash/column/cluster swap rather than worry about mis matched plugs. at least that way i know everything has a place and will function as it should. if i run into any problems ill let you know. should be as easy as snaking a wire , plugging in some plugs and screwing the dash back together.... key word, should. id say try all your stuff out like lights, brake lights and all that stuff, whatever doesnt work... you found the problem.

#11 ·
Plug

I am pretty sure that is the variable connection for the intermittent wipers. In 88 they switched over to an internal relay which is built into the combo switch. That is why the 85 has the plug, but the 88 does not. You could always unplug your buddies and try the wipers to verify. HTH

Jeff S.

#12 ·
I did the exact same swap. 88 into an 85. I came to the conclusion that it goes to the intermitent wiper relay located above the carb emissions ecu. (green box) I'm guessing you no longer have INT wipers. That's because the 88 has the relay built into the steering column turn signal switch. You'll need to pull the steering wheel and swap the switch. (the one with turn sig and wipers.)

#13 · (Edited)
Sweet thanks a ton guys...I don't have it running yet, working out the vacuum lines and just finished wiring up the fuel pump and guage tonight. Sounds like I'm gonna take a trip to the wrecker.

There is one plug that I can't figure out...if I don't find out what it is tonight with the fsm and searching I'll post for some more help.

Thanks, Joe

#14 ·
Just want to cross reference this link into this thread, it's all the vacuum diagrams which was great cause I have my 85 fsm that's totally different.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6951786#post6951786

Helped me figure out what my VSV was on my 88 harness since they aren't the same on pre 88's. Also the vacuum lines that I copied off my buddies 87 are totally different. This link sorted them out.

#16 · (Edited)
Hey you've just sorted out my problem too. 89 body swap on to an 85 keeping the 85 steering column. No intermittent wipers, just the 2 speeds, but the best thing is when I hit the squirt button on the end of the wiper wand it beeps, it cracks me up!

#17 · (Edited)
So here's a question.....is cruise control wired into the harness too? I was at the wrecker and they asked me if I wanted it with cruise control or not...I said no but then got to thinking...I can return the part still.....and will if I can get cruise control.

Anyone know? Is there anything extra that would be needed for cruise considering I have the 88 harness and computer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.