Pirate 4x4 banner

CV joint question

722 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  864runner 
#1 ·
I have a noise/vibration in my front driveshaft. I pulled the CV joint apart, following the instructions from here:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/

Step 9 says:

"When you separate the flange yoke from the "H" and drive shaft yoke, there is a spring and more needle roller bearings that the pin part of the flange yoke rides on...."

I take mine apart and I notice I have no needle bearings or spring on the pin part of the flange that the yoke rides on.

I think I found my problem. They were using an IFS driveshaft in the 4x4wire write up and mine is off an '81, but I don't think they are different in this regard?

I looked it up in the '80 FSM I have and it says if any problem is found with the CV shaft replace the whole driveshaft.

My question is would it be easier to just get a new used CV driveshaft and re-modify it, or does anyone know where I could get the needle bearings that are supposed to be in the pin? It looks like they should be longer than the needle bearings in the u-joint.

See less See more
#2 ·
I looked it up in the '80 FSM I have and it says if any problem is found with the CV shaft replace the whole driveshaft.

My question is would it be easier to just get a new used CV driveshaft and re-modify it, or does anyone know where I could get the needle bearings that are supposed to be in the pin? It looks like they should be longer than the needle bearings in the u-joint.
a new DS is in order or atleast a new CV. you cannot buy a aftermarket toyota CV, the closest thing to it is a 1310. i just went through this whole deal, i see a junk yard in your future.

#5 ·
You will pay more at a driveline shop than you would a junkyard.

Keep yours for a spare and retube a junkyard shaft for your primary use. If it's for up front (or out back and you really trust your skills), see 4RnrRick's driveline jig in this forum.

#6 ·
I agree. Ideally, that is what I'd do.

However, I have to have it back together by the end of the week. There are no local junkyards so I'd have to buy one and have it shipped. It will take probably 5 business days for anything to get here. Once I factor in shipping I'm willing to bet the junkyard shaft will be more expensive and take longer. We'll see.

#7 ·
I have an IFS front (needs to be clearanced), and would be easy enough to retube. (or go square) I can 2-day UPS it to you.

Find another junkyard donor shaft "someday" and ship a replacement back to me. I need to know by 1pm CST.

#9 ·
you can buy replacement centering yoke ball and needles at napa or other parts stores. measure the stub with a micrometer that the needles in the ball ride on and go to napa and order a new centering yoke kit. There are 2 different sizes thats why you have to measure the stub, its either going to be 0.511 or 0.467. the kit is only like 40 something bucks maybe cheaper. then have fun tearing the old one out, you have to get the ball out then cut a slit in the race to relieve the pressure of it being pressed in then you can get it out usually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.