Pirate 4x4 banner

22R Carb issues

787 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Scerb 
#1 · (Edited)
Got an 82 pickup with a 22r. Had all the factory emisions crap on it until yesterday, and had always run perfect. Engine fully rebuilt about a year and half ago, carb rebuilt at the same time.

Pulled off all the vacuum lines, capped them off at the carb, blocked off the EGR, only vacuum line left runs from the base of the carb to the the vacuum advance. I know this setup should work as half the trucks in our club run the same setup.

Truck now runs like crap, misses, skips, doesnt idle well. It will rev up smoothly but holding high rpms it still skips.

I assumed it was a vacuum leak, somewhere on the intake. Double checked all my caps for the vacuum ports, sealed up the egr block off plates, made sure the carb was sealed well against the intake. Still skips, and i have no clue what else to try. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
Correct. One is timing advance, one is timing retard. You really only need the advance for the engine to run right, however no plugging the retard port on the distributer could potentially give you problems. Also, you say you plugged all the ports on the carb, well what about all the ports on the intake? They need to be plugged to.

I second spraying stuff with carb cleaner - if the engine revs you found your leak.

-Scerb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.