Pirate 4x4 banner

over heating problem with my 22re

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Brad Juan 
#1 ·
I have a over heating problem I cannot figure out. the motor is a 88 22re in a samurai. I have a new 3 core mustang radiator out of a 66 mustang with a 302. I am using a flex a lite electric fan as a puller and puts out 1250CFM and is 12"in diameter. The local radiator shop AND summit racing said this fan was sufficient to cool my motor. I have changed the thermostat twice and both times I have used factory toyota thermostats. I have taken out the thermostat and that made no difference. I thought maybe I had a guage problem so I went to pep boys and bought a universal guage and it showed the same readings so I know its not the gauge. I cant find any water in the oil but I checked the compression anyway and found my number 3 cylinder has 60PSI while the rest had 140. I figured I had a blown head gasket, I took it off and it was in great shape, then I discovered my exhaust valve was bad on #3. The motor was rebuilt not to long ago and I flushed the shit out of all the water ports so I do not thing I am clogged. I am not running a heater core, just have the lines looped together. This thing only over heats while under a load. I can run trails all day long crawling around and never see a rise in temp. It overs heats at highway speeds, when driving though any mud or sand. just for your info the rig is a 88 samurai with 22re/w56 and dual t cases. It has 5.89 gears and I am running 39.5 irocks.
anyone have any idea what my problem could be???
thankyou:homer:

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds to me like either air in the lines or boiling coolant. Make sure everything is well bled. If youre positive all the air is gone but its still overheating, replace the radiator cap. I think its a 13psi cap stock. If the cap spring is bad it wont build pressure, allowing coolant to boil.

#3 ·
usually overheating while under throttle is a sign of running lean.. this would also burn up exhaust valves.

if it only did it on the highway i would say it was an airflow problem.. something that a foward facing hood scoop would cause(pressureizing the engine bay preventing air from going through the radiator).

#13 ·
with a burned valve on one cylinder i would think that maybe that injector was clogged or misfiring? causing a lean burn.... i wouldnt think one cylinder running lean would cause the engine to overheat, but it certainly work it harder.

i havent modified a 22re myself but i believe i read on this forum in one of the make more power threads(maybe turbo or megasquirt thread) that you can adjust the AFM a couple of teeth to enrichen the mix.

on compression my 85 factory service manual says STD more than 171PSI Limit 142PSI and no more than a 14PSI difference between cylinder.

#14 ·
Do the plugs read lean? 1250 CFM is not enough, I dont care what summit/ radiator shop claims. Water wetter is a bandaid for people who think additives fix everything. If you can fit a stock fan/clutch then use that, Try a taurus fan if you are set on an electric. about $30 at a junkyard, and will blow twice as much volume and last longer than the flex-alite. I have a Big block chevy in an isuzu pup and a smaller radiator with a taurus fan, and it cools it without any problem at any load. A v8 radiator should cool a 22re with no problem given you have enough airflow.

#15 ·
the plugs look a little bit lean, but not to much. The only reason I am using a small flex a lite is because I have no room. My radiator is as far ahead as possible and my fan sits less than a quarter inch from my crank pulley. I would honestly rather have a mechanical fan. Do they make one that is a little thinner profile? I only have about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inches to play with between radiator and pulleys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.