Pirate 4x4 banner

OOP's.....good carnage.

3K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  4rnr 
#1 ·
I guess I was due to do something stupid... Long story short; I ended up flying through a ditch at about 50mph (no not by choice, im not that stupid) and all was well until I hit one of those "pesky ditch pipe that goes under the road asphalt culverts" with the front drivers wheel. My wife who was driving in front of me said I was getting tons of air and she thought I was going to barrell roll. She was a little shook up.

Damage list.
-Axle housing bent back and up so much that the tire is in the body
-broke some welds on the front "weld on" crossmember.
-exploded the top trunion bearing.
-bent the u-bolts

Amazing list
-The stock 4 steering studs were unharmed (and im running hydro assist).
-The fj80 tie rod ends are fine.
-the leaf is fine.
-I think the knucke is ok.

Anywho heres some pics. Im pretty sure there will be better ones as I dig deaper...

Funnily enough the shock actually broke that morning for no reason I actually didnt break it during this, but until my little adventure it wasnt hanging down like that.

It was hard enough to do this at 25 psi!

See less See more
#6 ·
The welds that broke were smaller beads for the gusset. and they had good penetration, bc the weld material broke rather than the entire weld popping off. the next ones will be stronger:flipoff2:

I love the toyota bottle jack:flipoff2: Ive got jack stands in there though.

Those welds have taken massive abuse over the last year and a half with no problems and none of my other welds have failed on the truck. But I wasnt thinking 40mph impact on them when I was installing the gusset. I do however wish I would have made the structural welds farther out near the ends. Next time.

#11 ·
The welds that broke were smaller beads for the gusset. and they had good penetration, bc the weld material broke rather than the entire weld popping off.
The weld material broke therefore the weld failed, regardless of what was left hanging onto the base metal.

Next time around do a better job gussetting on top and behind your spring perches.

#7 · (Edited)
I guess I was due to do something stupid... Long story short; I ended up flying through a ditch at about 50mph (no not by choice, im not that stupid) and all was well until I hit one of those "pesky ditch pipe that goes under the road asphalt culverts" with the front drivers wheel. My wife who was driving in front of me said I was getting tons of air and she thought I was going to barrell roll. She was a little shook up.

Damage list.
-Axle housing bent back and up so much that the tire is in the body
-broke some welds on the front "weld on" crossmember.
-exploded the top trunion bearing.
-bent the u-bolts

Amazing list
-The stock 4 steering studs were unharmed (and im running hydro assist).
-The fj80 tie rod ends are fine.
-the leaf is fine.
-I think the knucke is ok.

Anywho heres some pics. Im pretty sure there will be better ones as I dig deaper...

Funnily enough the shock actually broke that morning for no reason I actually didnt break it during this, but until my little adventure it wasnt hanging down like that.

I'm willing to bet that you can add an axle shaft to the carnage list too...

#9 · (Edited)
Maybe.
In 4wd the wheel would turn (well it would crunch and make unholy noises do to the bent housing and pieces of trunion bearing/race in the ball) I only turned it one rotation though due to the damage. They are 30 spline longfields so maybe I found a new way to break one, "accident avoidence resulting in accident"
:grinpimp:

#10 ·
I had my bilseins come apart like that too. The bottoms work loose and it wears out the threads, I tried locktite but they would always come off. I finally welded the ends on and have been fine since.

#13 ·
You actually drove that booger welded POS on the road with other drivers around you:confused::eek:

Don't get it do you?

I can 99.9% chance tell you that your housing is bent too. They can't take punishment like that too well much less gravel road trail rides.

You say you have jack stands under there:confused:are they the invisible type? Or did you stuff them under there AFTER you took your front end apart?

#25 ·
A few years ago, I was jumping my truck while racing another yota (Passenger of the other yota said I could have easily put the truck over a honda) and bent my front axle in much the same way. Up, and back. I was able to drive it home, but the carnage list was a bent front housing (we had to torch it to get the thing apart), two bent rims, a reamed out hub bad enough that it couldn't be re-used, and a birf that had a shaved bell. I still have the birf, but wouldn't run it due to the damage. These front axles don't like huge sudden impacts very well.

#26 ·
Not much more to report I got the axle housing out and started to cut the bell off. 4 sawzall blades later and 1/2" deep and im not through it yet! I didnt want to plasma it bc Im not sure I want to do that with the longfields in there. Plus my plasma wont cut 1/2"

Oh damage
-broken centering bolt in the drivers leaf pack.

Now if I can just get Marlin to answer his phone I can buy some stuff from him:grinpimp:

#28 ·
The wrong ones (craftsman maybe 10 tpi) Its what I had.

Thats ok about the axle Ive got a couple guys around here with axles laying around and I might just need the housing. The knuckle looks ok. I will post pics of the knuckle to get a second opinion.

#29 ·
It's all about the millwaukee blades called "The Torch". They last and they don't kink up like the old style ones.
All other metal blades suck balls in comparison. Okay, I'm done.

#30 ·
Finally got through and the axles are fine. I couldnt get the long side out but LUCKILY it slid right out by hand after unbolting the 3rd and wedging a screwdriver in it.

Updates to damage list
-Lower trunion bearing race cracked.
-bent steering stop on knuckle

Here you can see where the steering stop bent and distorted the knuckle a bit

The sealing surface is still flat, and all the bolts actually line up perfect exept for the one broken hole of course. But im not sure I want to run it. I will see if I can dig up a knuckle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.