Pirate 4x4 banner

is there any toyota techs out there that have the answer for this

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  allbentup 
#1 · (Edited)
first off i am in california and the smog rules here as you know are pretty strict.:mad3: :flipoff2:so i have a 97 4 runner that i just did a sas on with 3/4 ton axels and now it is time to get it smogged, well i have three things that i need to get resolved before i can do that:
1. my check engine light is on
2. my abs light is on
3. my air bag light is on

1. i checked the code and it says bad/disconnected speed sensor so it must have been in the axel. that makes sense cause my speedo doesnt work anymore question: is there a speed sensor out that can be hooked up to stock wires or can i use a resistor to fool it tell after the smog then figure something out.
2. i thought about just taking the bulb out of the dash for the abs light but dont know if they will notice when they do my visiual inspection of dash lights.
3. i would like to make sure these are still functional and dont know why the light would be on ( i have a family and would like to keep them protected)

thanks for all the ideas and suggestions in advance:grinpimp::grinpimp:

See less See more
#2 ·
I remember when i went to smog my old 85 carb truck that did not have a check engine light, the tech said it did and failed me because there was no light that would come on on startup. What i did was stick a lightbulb in there and wired it up to one of the other lights that came on and turn off on their own. maybe you can do the same for the abs and your check engine. clear the codes first though. run a wire from one of the startup lights to the abs and check engine light to connect them all and when you pass, disconnect the wire.

Or you could just fix the problems.

#4 · (Edited)
All of them I have worked on the speed sensor was in the T-case.

Did you change out the front bumper and disconnect the AB sensor?

As soon as you fix the speed sensor, clear the code and it should not come back on.

The ABS sensor was in the rearend, do not know what you can do about that. Wire it up like Neren said.

#6 · (Edited)
All of them I have worked on the speed sensor was in the T-case.

Did you change out the front bumper and disconnect the AB sensor?

As soon as you fix the speed sensor, clear the code and it should not come back on. sure will

The ABS sensor was in the rearend, do not know what you can do about that. Wire it up like Neren said.
i have heard both one person told me they are in the rear axel and you are the second person that told me it is in the t-case so i will have to look into this more?????
front bumper was changed before sas was done and that light wasnt on so ??
this i knew and am probobly going to do like Neron said

thanks for the help

#7 ·
CA Smog inspection has nothing to with ABS or air bag, they won't care about it, so don't worry about it. They will inspect the check engine light to see if it illuminates for a few seconds after startup. You could try to parallel it in with the charge lamp or something, but if they don't buy it it's another $50 or so out the window.

#8 ·
What kind of scanner did you use to look up the codes? Did it have a menu with three choices- engine, transmission, ABS... before you got to the check codes menu? Because there's a difference, the sensor on the axle may not be used for any emissions related data, you may have a code for a faulty transmission or t-case mounted sensor which WILL be emissions related. I've never seen an ABS code set off the check engine light, it will usually illum. the ABS lamp or flash the ABS lamp if it's a bad one. A dealer tech will know more specifics for sure but you might just have a bad speed sensor. Does the speedometer work properly? If not that a good indicator. Of couse it may also be a tailshaft/axle speeds out of spec code too. It would be a good idea to post all codes you have here.

#9 ·
ill check the codes in the book tomorrow and try and post and no it wasnt the fancy 3 option type.

#10 · (Edited)
so it appears that i broke my spiral cabel which is in the colum, this happens when the stearing wheel is turned to far. it connects anything on the stearing wheel to the rest of the truck so, the air bags in the car as well as the horn. so that explains those two. i called the toyota stealership and they say that a new one is 245 bucks, i tryed a couple junk yards and they didnt even know what i was talking about. as far as the speedo i was told that on a vehicle with abs the speedo works off of the abs sensor. it goes through the ecu, and then to the speedo by wire not cable. so i asked him can i put a non abs cable into the abs trans? or do i have to use a complete trans from a non abs? he said he would check into it for me....so we will see what happens this info came from a toyota tech at the dealership.

#12 ·
as far as the speedo i was told that on a vehicle with abs the speedo works off of the abs sensor. it goes through the ecu, and then to the speedo by wire not cable. so i asked him can i put a non abs cable into the abs trans? or do i have to use a complete trans from a non abs? he said he would check into it for me....so we will see what happens this info came from a toyota tech at the dealership.
Interesting, I learned something today.

I am not that familiar with the newer models. Is your T-case DS or PS drop? Do you have dual cases? If you go to two gear drive cases they will have the cable hook-up for the speedo and I think there is a way to put the electric sensor in there. Check with Marlin or Inchworm.

#13 · (Edited)
i ran the stock tranny so a 97 auto drivers side drop

thanks ill check with him

#17 ·
yea the abs sensors would be in the stock axle housing near the brake baking plate. I don't know how you would get around this to get the abs to work. The sensors read off of rings on the axles. As far as the air bag and horn you can find another spiral cable or run some other wires in their place. you would need to figure out something that would not get snagged when you turn the wheel though. Race cars use something like a telephone cord IIRC. As far as the engine light you need to find out what code it is to see what caused it. It could have been caused by not having the speed sensors or something different or many things. chances are that you will not get by with just a dummy light cause they may hook up a scan tool and check for codes during the emissions test. Im not sure how they do things in cali but thats how they work out here.
Good luck

#18 ·
possibly good news.....i talked to a smog tech today and explained to him what was going on.....he said that my area does what is called a spec 900 smog so they only do a snif and dont run it on the tread mill.....but also he stated that they cant fail me on a non smog related item ie. abs light, air bag, or speed sensor. this guy has a 01 chevy truck that he did a sas on and it doesnt abs anymore and something else is wrong with it that keeps the check engine light on but it is non smog related so its ok .....so i am taking it to get smoged tomorrow....ill let you guys know what happens...........

#20 ·
thanks Igraham09 good idea

#21 ·
so i have another apointment with the smog guy on wednesday we will see what happens the other apointment was canceled

#22 ·
so i took my truck to a buddy who is a smog tech to see if we could come up with a way to get my 4 runner smogged this is what we did and this is what happened.
so while the truck was in the parking lot i hooked up my little hand held code checker and read then cleared the code, so the check engine light went off. then we hooked it up to the smog machine it passed the tail pipe sniff and it passed all of the visual...the problem is that when i cleared the code and he hooked up the connector to the same place i hooked my hand held it stayed in a state of pending info from ecu we let it sit there for 45 minutes and it never changed so he called a buddy of his (another smog guy)and he said that it will stay in this state forever until the vehicle is driven because it has no present history and it is waiting to do a diagnostic of complete operating system. and because it is an OBD2 the ECU looks at the vehicle as a complete unit (ABS ECU,Speed sensors, Air bag ECU bla bla bla and not just the smog portion....he was also able to get every code that has ever shown up including, the date and time the airbag deployed when my wife took on the Ford....hahaha...lol

so now what..........i cant be the only one who has done a SAS and front and rear axel upgrade that doesnt have a speed reference....what is the solution....there has got to be a Pirate4x4 brother out there that is a Toyota tech that is willing to take on the challange of coming up with a way to make this work......other wise i am going to have to keep the parts i want and part out the rest........

#23 ·
there has got to be a Pirate4x4 brother out there that is a Toyota tech that is willing to take on the challange of coming up with a way to make this work......other wise i am going to have to keep the parts i want and part out the rest........
Do what the rest of us do... Give your smog tech buddy a case of beer and forget about it:flipoff2:

#25 ·
thank you very much BIGMIKE for all the info i am going to try thisa out and i will let you guys know what happens.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.