Pirate 4x4 banner

Brake upgrade for Toy full width conversion

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  no2hud 
#1 ·
I currently doing a full width conversion on a 1985 Toy x-cab 4x4. I have my low box along with an Atlas 4.0 t-case along with 5.89 gears and I don't think the stock master cylinder can stop this. Any advice?

#12 ·
Rockstomper makes a 1-ton MC adapter for Toyota OR try an 89ish Toyota Cressida MC, they've got a bigger bore then stock and from what I hear are great... I'm still running stock MC and my foot goes too the floor before I have any brakes :shaking:

#13 ·
No amount of breaking power will stop your low gearing. I bought ROCKSTOMPERS chevy one ton master cylinder and it is a great product. I did not even know what a double flare was, but I researched. I also searched for what fittings i needed to adapt 3/16" brake line to the chevy master cylinder ports. Good Luck and go with a chevy master cylinder the best 100$ I ever spent.

#15 ·
With the vague description you have given, assuming you have a stock Toyota gear reduction in front of your Atlas and that you are running a Toyota 5 speed, you would still be in the 210-220:1 range. Why not just push in the clutch and use the brakes? You are hardly moving anyway, so there isn't much momentum lost. I suppose that that is an obvious solution, which makes me think that you are running an auto, which from what I have read, crawl through the brakes. And in that case, which I have no experience with, why not just shift from drive to nuetral when you need to brake?

#21 ·
i used rockstomper's adapter with the GM master cylinder on my T100. i then took my T-100 master cylinder, rotors, and calipers and installed them on my 4runner as an upgrade.

#25 ·
#26 ·
Thanks to those who can give good information it really helps to get a short cut when I have to work 60+ hours a week. That helps from wasting valuable shop time. To those who just spend time on the internet wishing they could wheel thanks for the harrasement, whats a bulletin board platform used for then? I've be off-roading for 22 years and competed from 98 to 02 and enjoyed passing knowledge to others. Guess I should go back to Jeep then. Thanks again to all of the helpfull tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.