Pirate 4x4 banner

3.0 gets York for OBA

8K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  NORCALFJ40 
#1 · (Edited)
I have wanted a York A/C compressor for OBA for a long time. As most of you know, there is not a lot of room under there on a V-6. While spending a day at the local P-N-P I came across a Volkswagen Scirocco with this pump. It is a York Super-Compact Mini Model with the intake and exhaust ports on the back, not on top of the head. This pump is 8.70 cu.in. Which is the same size as the standard York model 209. The standard model 210 is what most people try to get, it is 10.3 cu. In.

I do not have any dimensions on the mount I fabbed up, it was a make as you go type thing. It is mounted in the same as the stock rotary compressor and uses the stock belt tensioner.

I have a seven-gallon tank mounted under the bed, and empty to 120 P.S.I. it takes a little less then a minute to fill.

Comparison of size

Mount

Mount

Manifold

Mounted

Bottom and tensioner

Tank

Manifold mounted

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Sweet! :grinpimp:

I bet that hose coming off the compressor melts though unless its some special hi-temp stuff. It gets HOT.

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like there might be room to fit a full size York in there if you mounted it with the pulley in basically the same spot, but angled the head out towards the fender a bit...?

#9 ·
your output line is going to blow after it gets really hot. When I used a regular line like that, mine would blow out after/during airing up 4 35" tires.
I eventually bought a teflon lined hose and I haven't had a problem since:

#10 · (Edited)
your output line is going to blow after it gets really hot. When I used a regular line like that, mine would blow out after/during airing up 4 35" tires.
I eventually bought a teflon lined hose and I haven't had a problem since:
I bet that hose coming off the compressor melts though unless its some special hi-temp stuff. It gets HOT.

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like there might be room to fit a full size York in there if you mounted it with the pulley in basically the same spot, but angled the head out towards the fender a bit...?
Thanks for the advice on the hose. This is the same type of hose I used when I had the rotary pump and it did not blow. I know that it gets hot, with the rotary pump I melted the insides of the coalescing filter. Have to wait and see.

I tried that before, angeling the 210 pump and it did not work, the 210 is wider then the Mini and when the engine torqued over the pulley hit the frame. The pulley on the Mini had two spots for the belt to ride, the one on the front was bigger so I chucked it up in my lathe and turned it down so it would fit better.

If nothing else I am going to put the 210 on my tow rig. Kilby Enterprises has a kit for mounting on the CTD but it is a bit pricy as far as I am concerned. I will have to take a gander at the CTD.

#13 ·
Kilby Enterprises has a kit for mounting on the CTD but it is a bit pricy as far as I am concerned. I will have to take a gander at the CTD.
let me know if you use kilby's setup on the CTD. i was looking at that, but also walked away from the high $$. air on the dodge would be nice though.

#11 ·
Very nice. I have the viar setup on my tow rig. The 450C with 5gal tank, mounted to the frame, also pressure regulated so I always have air. Works great for small stuff and just nice to have. I stopped to help a guy with a flat tire the other day and he flipped his lid when I just aired up his tire. He was crawling all under my truck checking it out. The added air horns are nice to.

#14 ·
Little update, I took ErikB and red85toy advice and had hoses made with a swedged ends. I did not ever blow a hose off and one time I aired up three rigs in about fifteen minutes. It has been on for a couple of years and works flawlessly.

Good ad for PIGS shock also, maybe he will cut me a deal when I upgrade in the future.

#16 ·
I also am in the middle of a York OBA and I'm curious how many people have issues with heat . Is this mostly because you are low on oil? I have seen that you can plug a hole behind the clutch and slow down the oil consumption, if this works and enables you to run more oil is heat still as much of an issue? Sorry if this is a thread jack but I thought it might be a good add on.

#19 · (Edited)
Compressing air causes it to heat up, period. Simple physics.

The more air you pump, the more heat you get, and Yorks pump a lot of air. Now add heat from friction of the moving parts and friction of the moving air.

This is why your shop compressor has metal lines going from the compressor to the tank. Some of the bigger models even have fins on that metal line to help dissipate some of that heat.

Part of the problem with using an AC compressor to pump air is that the heat is not carried away as quickly as it was when it was pumping refrigerant and the intake air is a lot warmer than the cold refrigerant that would normally be coming in. Bottom line is it gets hot. That's ok as long as you keep it oiled and have a decent hose on the output.

Cheap plastic air hoses will likely melt and blow off. Rubber hoses tend to hold up better. The best hoses and fittings to use on the output are the AC hoses that came with the compressor. They are designed for very high working pressures and high temps, and they are generally cheap/free from a junk yard or with your compressor.
Kilby stuff is nice, but very pricey.

Also, my experience has been that plugging that oil port didn't do much to help oil consumption. Waste of time, IMHO.

#20 ·
Where did you get these fittings?
Those are just run of the mill NPT brass fittings that I brazed to the tubes on the stock fittings.

I have seen that you can plug a hole behind the clutch and slow down the oil consumption, if this works and enables you to run more oil is heat still as much of an issue?
Kilby does not recommend this modification, he has never stated why that I have seen on his BB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.