Pirate 4x4 banner

which 4.3 for swap

1K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  cliffstoyota 
#1 ·
what would be the best donor for this swap. have a shot at an 88, 98, and 00. all are auto and under 100k. I want to swap in motor and trans. any suggestions? thanks

#6 ·
I worked on three blazers today, all with 4.3's, all vortec, all suck ass. I will take the 3.4 toyota V6 any day......it runs every day.....doesnt eat cams....fits in the Toyota frame well.....gets 20+ mpg......buy any of the three choices you have there, wont matter, its built by gm after 72, its gonna be a pile.

#11 ·
I swapped a 4.3 out of a 99 astro van. Its an expensive swap so keep in mind that they went to a VATS system in i think 96 or so and that causes trouble with the computer which you will have to get reprogramed, unless you buy a steering column out of the same vehicle. I havent wired mine completely because of all the tranny wires got cut. There is a guy that can make you wiring harness super simple and easy to install for $250 and another $200 to program the computer. Thats the route i;m taking there.

#14 · (Edited)
I worked on three blazers today, all with 4.3's, all vortec, all suck ass. I will take the 3.4 toyota V6 any day......it runs every day.....doesnt eat cams....fits in the Toyota frame well.....gets 20+ mpg......buy any of the three choices you have there, wont matter, its built by gm after 72, its gonna be a pile.
you are a confused person. the only part of the gm vehicle worth anything is the engine.

#15 ·
I used a 91 astro van 4.3. I heard the tbi has more torque. (not sure if it's true or not) I ordered the harness from summit (painless kit) I used a speedway universal motor mount bar (like $50) Just make sure you swap that rear upper heater quick disconnect guaranteed to leak with a normal one. I'm very happy with it.

#16 ·
You just need to by my set up. 4.3/4l60e with the AA to toyota cases. :D

#17 ·
In my 85 toy I ran a 4.3 from a 02 s10 with a homebrew harness and used a comp from a 98 s10 before they went to vats, with the AA headers and It was a blast to drive lots of tourqe and was always dependable. I sold that set up and went with a 2.7 3rz, and was very pleased with the power it felt like it fit the truck weight wize..... I sell used parts and we sell the shit out of the 96-04 4.3 chevys, 3.4 and 2.7 toyotas are mostly sold as conversions, not factory replacements.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.