Pirate 4x4 banner

one more alternator question

855 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  AxlesUp 
#1 ·
I am sure I can can do any amount of wiring to hook up an alternator in my
'83 pickup. My problem is that in all the threads that I have searched trying to come up with a decently priced high output alternator I keep seeing people swapping the Chevy CS style alternator with one thick ear and one thin ear for mounting. This works great if you have an 85 or newer truck with the nippondenso alternator of the same mount style.
My problen is that I don't have this style of mount. I have an alternator that looks like this .
See how it has 3 thin tabs and is essentially the reverse of the CS/ Nippondenso style mount.
Is there some thread where a fix for this has been made and I just can't find it? If not I might try and swap the brackets from a newer block on to mine if they will mount up due to 83's having the tall deck.
Sorry :( such a long post but I have been chasing threads for about 2 hours and could not get a clear answer.

#2 ·
I have an 80 and swapped in a 94 22RE. When I was thinking about using the stock crap with the external regulator I put it on the '94 to see what would happen and the only difference is one runs two ears outside the bracket and the other runs a single tab on the inside. Either way you need to do some fab work.

Go with the Chevy alternator and don't look back. The chrome 140 amp Summit brand ones are only around $140 shipped. Chrome is cheaper by the way. Don't ask me why, but it adds to the rock bling of your rig. That's all that matters is the bling.

#4 ·
Gotcha, I will go and get the brackets this weekend and order up that powermaster from Summit. Is there a drawback to the 140 or 200 amp versions over the 100 amp ones. Is there a writeup or charging system diagram for the stock 83 alternator that someone can link or post up?
Thanks.

#5 ·
if its a one wire gm alternator you just run a heavy gauge wire from the alt terminal over to the battery positive terminal... Im sure that somebody will post up the link about the gm one wire versus gm 3 wire alternator debate but whatever, they both mount the same so its up to you to decide on the 1 versus 3 wire alternators... best of luck to ya. and the 140 amp powermaster is @ 200 bones, i ran one on my mud truck.... they are pretty cool because they come with a dyno sheet in the box.. and my 140 amp alt made 159 amps.... :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.