Pirate 4x4 banner

Right truck to buy?

645 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  FugginZukin 
#1 ·
Hey, first post here. I've wanted a 4x4 toyota for a long time and now I'm ready to finally buy one. I want a truck for a daily driver and also do some light wheeling.

I found a 86 4x4 SR5 22RE with 320K miles on the body.
Engine and transmission have been replaced with 70K miles on them.
Also replaced was the radiator, wheel bearings, shocks, etc. Clear title, Clean CarFax report.

He's asking 4,300 for it but I think I can talk him down a bit because its been on the market for a while.

I'm a student so I don't have a tone of money to spend on repairs. Sound like an OK deal?

#2 ·
Talk him down.

Hard to say if it's a good deal because we have no pictures. Body rough? Rust on frame? Steering tight?

Take it for a test drive. See if it blows cold air. See if the radio works. Do all the small things.

I have an 85 and love it, but the IFS would work better for the part-time wheeling you plan to do.

Go read over the FAQ and see if you still like the truck...

Oh, is it a 4Runner, Regular cab, or Xtra Cab? That will affect the price too. Good luck!

#4 ·
if he can't show proff of a motor rebuild, then no reason to belive it's rebuilt.
99% of the adds state that, or " guy I bought it from rebuilt the motor"

sounds like alot of BULLSHIT to me, LOL

we have no idea what state you live in, fill that out in your profile it helps.

you can but stockers from $800
you can find real built trucks from $3500-8k semibuilts for $2k up etc

#5 · (Edited)
if he can't show proff of a motor rebuild, then no reason to belive it's rebuilt.
99% of the adds state that, or " guy I bought it from rebuilt the motor"

sounds like alot of BULLSHIT to me, LOL
It was on mine, supposed to have been rebuilt 70k ago, horse shit! Until I did it the head had never been off that motor. The price will vary a ton based on where you are, around here it's really hard to find a decent 4x4 yota for anywhere under 1500. My 85 was 2500 with the 33's, wheels and lift already on it, I didn't do as good as I should have knowing what I know now after tearing into the truck, but at the time I didn't know better.

#7 ·
Don't get anxious to buy something. Wait it out to find the best deal. You will know when you struck gold.

I just bought an immaculate 88 standard cab with a rebuilt engine/trans (verified) for $2700.00. Everything was in great shape.

Keep looking. You will find a good deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.