Pirate 4x4 banner

High Steer question-I searched!!!

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  seafarinman 
#1 ·
I was reading the FAQ's... now that I got that bit out of the way: I was wondering what the issue is with the high steer. I ordered the TG high steer kit with the 4 stud arms, and the flat pitman arm. I am going to be doing the 48" Toyota rear springs up front on my 94 Toyota V6 extracab. If I leave the box in its stock location, with the forementioned beefed up rears what are the possible issues with the steering? The FAQ's were not clear as to the possible or likely problems. I have not torn into my rig yet, but I do have my 87 SAS rig (I did not SAS it) to look at as a guide of sorts. Flame away if it is warranted, but I am here to learn. :flipoff2:

#2 ·
1984 runner>>im runnin 4 inch deaver springs up front moved axle 1.5 inches forward, and im using an ifs box. I have marlins high steer kit with 4 bolt arms and DOM toob with fj-80 ends and i have no issues what so ever, hope this helps

#4 ·
Worse case senario is that your drag link may come in contact with your tierod during axle articulation depending on the location of the box after you have installed your new fron leafs. This will affect the geometry of your steering as well and make turning in some cases difficult. Some on the board say make the drag link and the tierod parallel, I just moved the box as far forward as possible ( i know this doesnt apply to what you said just a example ) and I didnt have any issues except during full compression on the drivers side I do have the drag link come incontact with the top of the leaf spring on the passenger side. Just some things to keep a eye on while your doing it.

#7 ·
I have been running the Sky 3/4 drop pitman arm for over a year now with no issues. With the pitman arm supplied with the High Steer kit there was contact with the steering arm.

full compression

#9 ·
BTW I was looking at the pitman arm on my 87 Toyota SAS truck(F-U SnowTrooper) and I noticed that it has the stock pitman arm on it, and is not using an FJ-80 TRE. I didn't take it apart to check, but it appears to be a heim joint on it. Is this a common practice? BTW the rig is sitting on some kind of rear springs and is pretty high up. I am doing my SAS on my 94 truck this week and I *don't* want it to sit that high, but I might just do it so that I can steal the 37" MTR's/5.29's from that rig.

#10 ·
Also, make sure your tie rod isn't going to smash your oil pan on compression. If you're really going to do it, you should just go ahead and move your box as far forward as you can. I think you'll dig the better approach angle, the better tire clearance at the back of the fenders, and the extra wheelbase. Also, it sounds like you'd like to keep it low, so pushing the tie rod and drag link forward just gives you more room. That's just been my limited experience though. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.