Pirate 4x4 banner

22r carb issues/runnin like poo

550 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  J Kimmel 
#1 ·
just got a 1984 runner with 22r/w56/dual cases, its been running good till i ran 2nd gear through 4th full throttle and when i let off to stop at a stop light the motor shut off. I restarted at the light and went to take off in 1st and it acted as if it flooded and almost died again. i pulled into a parking lot and it died. once again restarted and it ran fine at idle but when i hit the gas it choked on a bunch of gas and flooded and died, now it runs like poop and acts as if when i hit the gas it just floods and then dies out unless i floor it to burn off the excess fuel. any ideas on what the issue is? maybe sticky needle on the pilot or main?

Im a newb with yoters and carbs, help or flame on either way...:flipoff2:

#2 ·
FWIW, I found the best way to cure the issues I had with my carb were to pull it off, get a rebuild kit, and start cleaning all the passages(a little bit of welding wire in and out of the passages will tell you if they are blocked at all). I replaced all the diaphragms on them, adjusted the floats and since then has worked great.

I don't pretend to understand them much, or think I know much about them. Mine works fantastic, I'm really surprised. I planned on EFI all along, now I'll do it someday, no hurry.

I just started pulling stuff off and replacing it with new parts that came in the kit, and cleaned the shit out of it :confused:

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.