Pirate 4x4 banner

Another won't start question

386 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  scoyota67 
#1 ·
Here we go... I'm in the process of installing Auto Meter electric gauges to replace my instrument panel on my 85 toy with 22r. I used the existing wires from the instrument panel wiring harness to run to the new gauges (ground, +12v from ign, instrument lights, oil and water).

With the water and oil pressure gauge hooked up i started the truck. It started up for about 3-5 seconds, faltered and died. The gauges were working. i smelled a burning smell and then realized the truck did not want to restart (no click, no turning over, nothing) There is still power to the 12v from the ingintion. i checked my fuses and found the 7.5amp fuse for the ingnition was blown. i replaced that and tried to restart, there was no change. That fuse is still intact. When i turn on my headlights the instrument lights work but the headlights do not come on. The headlight relay in the engine compartment starts to make a buzzing noise.

Questions:
1) What do you think went wrong?
2) How do i check to see if a relay is functioning properly?

The only thing i could think of was that i should have used new wires to run to the sending units for the oil and water. ALthough the old wires have continuity maybe they are routed through the ECU??? By any means all this stuff is low amps and i don't understand how i could have blown a relay.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.