Pirate 4x4 banner

Dual Adapter Bearing Play?

2K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  FugginZukin 
#1 ·
Hello,
I recently received a Dual adapter from Trail Gear, and noticed there is approx. 1/16" play between the main bearing and the retaining collar. This play is coming from the outer race of the bearing. I am wondering if this is normal? Are they supposed to be pressed in and then backed up with the collar? The reason I ask is becuase the last one I had purchased from Marlin was tight on the outer race. The play on this one is enough to see with your eye. I also noticed on their picture from their website they have a 10 count ball bearing on their picutred adapter. I have a 9 count? Is this normal? Can this be the cause of the play? Wrong Bearing?

Thank you for your help. I am going to call TG anyway but figured I would consult the experts first as I am not sure about TG's integrity as I have heard mixed reviews. I want to hear from people who are sure. Thanks again.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
To be honest, I would rather have the opinions of others. With TG's rep who knows what they will tell me.

If they tell me it's OK, when it really isn't, how would I really know? That is why I am asking for other's opinons. :flipoff2:

I don't build things Chicken Shit.

#7 ·
If you questioned their integrity, then why did you give them your money?

To be totally honest, I'd suspect that it's just an adapter with a flaw or something, and they will probably be happy to send you a new one.

#12 ·
If you questioned their integrity, then why did you give them your money?
Hearsay is Hearsay until you experience something yourself! Period.

I was raised to never judge and give someone the benefit of the doubt. Most of the time this non-stereotypical approach works out fine. In some rare instances, I get a situation like this. :flipoff2:

#9 ·
I have a t/g adapter here. there is not supposed to be any play. get ready to send it back and get another.
think about it this way. you can buy it, get it, ship it back and get another, before a marlin customer who ordered a 23 spline kit will get his. :flipoff2:

#14 ·
Seems to me that that I've only heard good things about TG's customer service.
Its their dealings with other businesses (competitors) that people seem to question...

#16 ·
Last one a buddy ordered from Marlin he had it the next day
I ordered one early this year and they said three days, when I called back in a week it was 3 weeks, then when I called back after that it was another month "we think". I gave up as soon as they couldn't tell me when it was going to be here. Had they been up front about the time frame I'd have never ordered it.

#18 · (Edited)
Most definitely. I did just this when I opened it up. There was a significant amount of metal shavings in various crevices including the bearings themselves.

Out of curiousity is this adapter similar to the older MC05 with the 6209N bearing?

I am curious if the 5209W Double Row is really that much stronger as Marlin states: http://www.marlincrawler.com/docs/mc07/index.htm

I wonder if I could slap a 5209W in this adapter with minor mod. Hmm....

Just trying build this setup as strong as possible. EDIT: Front input is a total 21 spline 2.28 out of a 79 T-case that was mated to a 4 speed. Supposedly this input is stronger than later models.

#22 ·
inchworm also has a doubler adapter, about the same price if I remember, the trail gear just looks a little beefier, and good luck getting a hold of anyone at marlins shop.....:shaking:

#24 ·
I am sorry you are having problems. We were at the WE Rock Donner event this weekend so we are just now getting back into the shop.

If you have play between the outer race of the bearing and the bearing retainer then there is a problem. If this is the case we will get a new adapter out to you ASAP. Contact John Robertson (sales manager) and he will take care of you.

Please see the picture below for clarification.

#26 ·
Thank you for clearing this up. Just got off the phone with the TG guys. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! I have never experienced such great customer service in my life. :smokin: Seriously. Great job.

The picture you have above where you state "no gap" is exactly where I have the Gap. It is approx. 1/16" and enough to see with your eye moving back and forth.

I appreciate you clarifying this for me. Damn, you guys are good. Thanks again!!!!!!!

FZ

#25 ·
I hate to say it but it sounds like there is a problem with your adapter, I am not totally sure without seeing it but we would rather be safe then sorry, so if you will call me I will send a tag for the one you have and over night you a new adapter.
These things sometimes happen to ALL companies, but when we make a mistake we want to resolve it quickly and correctly. So if anyone has a question about a product that they purchased from us please feel free to call us or send an e mail we usually answer very quickly and resolve the issue or problem in the customers best interest.

John Robertson
(559)252-4950

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.