Pirate 4x4 banner

22r Help

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tim@DOA 
#1 ·
Im still having an issue with my 83 toyo 22r. It starts up just fine when Cold, but when it's hot; it will just die at idle. Truck has 2k miles on new lc motor. Have replaced the EGR, new carb, fuel pump, plugs + wires + cap + rotor, and the Brake Booster.

The truck was running cherry, then I let my foot off the gas going about 30 mph and the truck died. It took over a hour to start, and was running way rich all the sudden. I got the truck timed the week this happened and had a new lc distributor installed. Now the truck won't get anywhere near TDC with ought killing the motor. I don't know how a truck that was running at 1000 rpm solid at idle and timed correctly would just crap out and change time? My volt meter is not working to test my electrical. But from checking the grounds and all the vacume lines to droping the gas tank and cleaning it, im lost. I think im going to put my old distributor on and see if that fixes it.

Any help or comments would be great, thanks !

#2 · (Edited)
I'll take a stab at this. I have an 84 Runner with a 22R.

If the truck is in fact running just fine when cold, including RPM's, high idle, CHOKE, and it's running smoothly, that tells me that all of your basic systems are good. Your getting fuel and spark obviously, your vac lines and electrical lines are ok, etc.

You said when it warms up it dies, it's hard as hell to start, and it was running rich as hell. This tells me that your choke is stuck.

After warming up and kicking down off of high idle, a sound motor with everything in working order except for the choke staying on would make it quit running, hard as hell to start, run rich if you did get it to start, and I'm pretty sure it would be next to impossible to check the timing with it running so rough.

I couldn't check my timing when my motor was idling like crap cause I had an intake leak.

What kinda choke do you have? Did you replace the carb with another Toyota 22R carb? With the motor bone cold, I would pop the hood, take off the air cleaner, and look at the position of the choke. Then I would keep looking at it while someone else got in the truck and slowly pressed the
accelerator and let off to set the choke and see what the choke does (if anything), then what it did when you started it, then what it did as it warms all the way up. Just stand there and watch it the whole time noting it's movements if any.

#3 ·
Might still be the EGR.
Did you also replace the EGR modulator? If it holds the valve open
continuously, rather than cycling, it won't idle.
Try disconnecting (and plugging) the vacuum line to the modulator, to prevent the egr from opening at all. Easy test to rule out the EGR altogether.

#4 ·
If you haven't tried a different carb since the problem, look at the auxillary accellerator pump circut. If the bimetal vacuum isn't closing after warm up and the diaphram is leaking, it could pull fuel into the intake. Might check the normal accell pump also.

#5 ·
2manyprojects- If you haven't tried a different carb since the problem, look at the auxillary accellerator pump circut
I have slaped on another carburetor and it ran worse. When my new remanufactured carburetor came in the mail it was missing two pices, the Hot Idle Compensator Valve pices. I took the ones off my old carb and put those in the new carb. And I had to use my old Throttle Positioner Assembly.

whitetoy-Did you also replace the EGR modulator?
No, I just replaced the Egr Valve itself. I will try to block off the vac hose and see what happens.

MrMoose- What kinda choke do you have? Did you replace the carb with another Toyota 22R carb? With the motor bone cold, I would pop the hood, take off the air cleaner, and look at the position of the choke
I bought a remanufactured carb from Guaranteed Carburetors, it came with a old stock electrical choke on it. Since on the site it said it had all new parts and had been diped in new metal, I figured it would at least have a new choke on it; not a used one. Ill watch the choke the next morinig I fire it up.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's more help then I have had from these guys arround here. Ill get back to you all when I try some of these things.

#7 ·
Scooterloo - I had a bad pick up coil, in the distributor
I put in the distributer that I had before I swaped motors, and I know it worked then. When I put it in, no improvement. And as far as testing the unit, Ill have to wait till I get a working volt meter.

I got a hot idle compensator valve put in, and I replaced two vac lines that had a small hole in each, and I got some improvement but not much. Sometimes now the motor will idle at 1000 rpm, but it will be rough. Then other times it will idle at 1400 rpm. I was messing arround with the vac lines unpluging them to test for pressure, I found that my Vacuum Switch has no vacuum. I pull it off and nothing happens to the motor. There is no vacuum coming from the unit. I hooked up my timing lite and the motor is running at 30* ATDC with the vac lines attached to the dist. When I try to adjust the timing, and get it near 20* the motor wants to cut out. And the motor itself feels like its way to hot. The temp doesn't read hot, but it just feels hot on the motor, radiator pipe and the distributor.

Today I watched the choke as I started up the motor. The choke plate closes then opens up to the vertical position, and the plate clostest to the valve cover doesn't move much. Still lost here....

#8 ·
After checking everything 500x im down to two conclusions. One is that maybe I have a bad valve spring that is not holding the valve shut. Or that my double row timing chain somehow sliped a tooth on the crankshaft. Im going to take it into the shop to have em tear my timing cover off and take a peek.

#9 ·
Both of those scenarios are bad, but neither is going to cause the issues you've mentioned. A sticking intake valve will allow a backfire to occur through the induction, and you'd know it. The chain didn't "slip" a tooth, you'd in no way be able to accomplish this on the lower chainwheel withouth a bigger problem overall. Look for the simplest, more obvious problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.