Pirate 4x4 banner

22r stumble

733 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  luvmeye22refi 
#1 ·
yeah my recent problem has been a pain in the butt, so any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I just had my head rebuilt due to an overheat, as well as replacing the waterpump, radiator and removing the t-stat. the truck no longer has a overheat and runs great except between 50 and 70 mph and only at a steady speed it will miss,almost like it is not firing right, if your accelerating it runs like a champ, it doesnt do it constantly just once or twice every couple of miles, I rechecked my timing(its good), adjusted the carb to the best of my knowledge, engine idle is set at about 950 rpm, I also changed my plugs, dist cap and rotor(installed new set of wires 6 months ago) still no help. Also wondering if I maybe could of hooked up some hoses wrong when reinstalling intake manifold and carb after having the head rebuilt.
the truck ran great before this overheat and it has 290,000 miles any help would be highly appreciated.

#2 ·
suggestion

this is waht i would suggest. first if you are wondering if you may have the vacum hoses wrong you should head to your nearest toyota dealership that sell toyota parts too. and take in your vin number and give it to them and the can print out the exact vacum diagram for your truck. any how take some starting fluid and spray during idle all your vacum connections and see if your idle raises.could be a vacum leak. maybe spend a few buck and change all your vacum lines a that high of an rpm air could possibly be leaking through a hose of connection. can't gaurrantee but that sounds like what it is. vacum leaks are not usually notice during the revving up of the engine .

#3 ·
Well it sounds like you're mechanically inclined but when this happened to my 22r a few weeks ago I robbed the fuel filter off my parts truck FJ60 it and solved the problem. It also happened very suddenly when my timing chain went so I thought I had other problems. Also double check the torque on the intake manifold and carb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.