Pirate 4x4 banner

High steer 60 with radius arm

743 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  camodan 
#1 ·
I'm doing a budget re-build of my toy. Tired of the toy axles so I bought 60's and have hit a snag. I have Hi-steer arms on the front and it seems I am going to have to raise my truck about 4" to clear the tie rod under the oil pan and frame rails. This will make my truck way too tall, not what I want. How about putting the tie rod under the steering arms, Since the arms are already tapered one way I'd have to use rod ends. Idea's?

I've read about and seen pictures of the "C-notched frame" trick, seems alright and may do that if necessary. What do I do with the steering box, to get a 90ish degree aproach angle the axle has to go forward and so does the steering box. Don't have the cash for full hydro so I want to see what everyone else has done.

My build plan is as follows: Radius arm type suspension. 42-46" arms made of 2" 1/4 wall, missing top link on pass side. BC bronco 5.5" lift springs. Yes it is ghetto and cheap, it will fulfill my needs for now with my budget. Rear is staying with leafs for now. If you have a better idea, feel free.
Thanks,
Dan

#2 ·
Are you doing steering behind the axle? You mentioned oilpan interference, so I'm assuming your tie rod is behind the front axle. If not, then who's steering are you using?

#3 ·
I just put "oil pan" in there to emphasize the lack of clearance. The front of the oil pan is about 1-2" below the frame rails and the tie rod would hit that if I notched the frame rails. Sorry I don't have a picture at the moment to illustrate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.