Pirate 4x4 banner

Continious operating degree

678 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  benmlee 
#1 · (Edited)
What is the max continious operating degree of

1. Front Solid Axle Drive Shaft
2. Rear Toyota Drive Shaft.

I believe that the max working degree (where the shaft binds up) of a CV toy shaft is 35 degrees and the non-cv shaft is 42 degrees.

#2 ·
Running 35 or 42 deg of angle on a non-CV shaft continuously sounds high. If you want to drive on the road, keep it under 6 degree to go 70+mph continuously. If you go beyond 10 degrees, there will be vibrations. If is not for high speed, then any degree is ok as long as the joint do not bind.

#4 · (Edited)
I measured the front cv shaft on a 83 toyota I have. It has stock springs that are wore out with a bad neg arch. The driveshaft angle is 13 degrees on it. I think that new, it would have been around 15 to 17 degrees.

Since no one seems to know the answer to the question, I will just have to try it out. My is currently 21.5 degrees.

#5 ·
With a CV axel, you should be able to get away with high angles. The CV joint takes out any phase error. With a regular U-joint, the driveshaft is running with a jerking motion that does not get taken out until the second u-joint, so you get vibrations even if the u-joints are aligned.
I would say a CV axel can run as high as there is clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.