Pirate 4x4 banner

Leaking Steering

600 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ErikB 
#1 ·
So here's the question. Any help would be appreciated.

When my truck is just driving normally I have a very slow leak out of my power steering box. Maybe a couple drops a day but when I really am working the steering back and forth trying to climb something the power steering box leaks tons of fluid. I think it is leaking out of the top of the box and also where the tap on the side is. The leak on the side of the box is only minor. Now I have tightened up the 5 bolts on the top of the box. What else am I missing? Why is it that only when I am working the steering a lot it leaks? I am kinda new at this so any real advise would be helpful.

Background: I have an 86 steering box that I tapped myself running to trail-gears hydro assist. I also have a hayden 401 cooler to help out the system, I was thinking that the fluid was overheating. My restrictor on the power steering pump has not been drilled out yet although it needs to, steering response is too slow.

Sorry for the length.

#2 ·
The main part of the box doesn't have max pressure in it unless you are working it, so that's why it leaks more then.

Check the FAQ for steering box rebuild info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.