Pirate 4x4 banner

3.0 Gremlin living in my 1991 4runner

965 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  krokuss 
#1 ·
Once again my 3.0 is acting screwball. Has to be a gremlin. It starts strong, runs great. I turn it off to get beer or whatever, then start it up again. It starts.... then dies, I start it again and have to feather the throttle to trick it to get normal, then it runs fine. It only does this sometimes. Runs strong while driving. I just replaced the fuel filter and it is still screwy. I am about to head up to the Sierra / Truckee but I dont want to be towed back. Any Suggestions????????

#7 ·
I fkn hate the 3.0! But in any case, my p.o.s. is sittin on a trailer now at a friends off of 20, ready to come home 5 hrs away. Heres what happened........made it in over by meadow lake....no prob.. jammed around for a couple days....time to come home....runs then dies...hitched a ride to Auburn for a few efi relays and a new pump...dropped the tank replaced the pump, filled back up (super scary fire season!)...changed three relays, one under hood the others under kick panel...the fuel pump kicks on for 3-4 secs then shuts off??? When it is cold it last longer...almost 20 minutes...then dies. It has gotten progressivly worse. I think maybe a lose wire somewhere between here and hell. ANY HELP WOULD KEEP IT FROM TURNING INTO ANOTHER FORGOTTEN PROJECT IN THE PILE. Thanks!

#8 · (Edited)
Definently sounds like electrical. I assume when you say the pump works for a few seconds you mean the truck runs then dies? Get a wiring diagram and check leads and signal wires for continuity, and check all the grounds in the circuit, in order to eliminate all wiring possibilities. If you don't find anything then it may be the PCM.

#9 ·
i know this doesn't help at all, but we run into the same issues from time to time in asscrackistan with the deisel and gas powered hiluxes. it might be the elevation that really fucks with the toyota's efi i don't know. i hope your able to figure it out.

#10 ·
I do not know if this is the same problem, but alot of the 3.0's get a pulse at idle which sometimes drops the idle killing the truck... In my experience I have found it to be an easy fix... at the front of the throttle body there is a small tube that coolant runs threw... this gets clogged up and throws off the sensors, all it needs is to usually be blown out with some air or parts cleaner... it may not be the same as what you are describing but happens very often

#12 ·
just hardwire the fuel pump to a switch so you can give it permanent power when the switch is on instead of being dependent on any other system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.