Pirate 4x4 banner

supra AFM into a 22re - lots of comparison pics

43K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  417.887834 
#1 · (Edited)
I have searched this on various sites. I know there is not a lot on here, so for those of your still sporting 4 squirrels here ya go: Edit It appears that this only works on the early efi, pre 1988.5.

The supra AFM is larger and also has a 3"diameter opening that easily adapts a high flow air filter of your choice.

It is 2.5"x2" inside vs. 2" square on the stock unit.

Parts:
-AFM from a 1982 supra. (any other year is not "bolt in" or should I say "plug-in") Part#22250-43110 & 197100-3020 (both are printed on top)
-boneyard intake parts to adapt the 3" opening into the intake plenum. Plumbing parts also work.
-clamps
-air filter with 3" diameter fitting

I have also modified my stock air box to be a battery holder and moved my air filter to the cool side of the engine bay. This would require extending the wires, but is not difficult.

The swap is self-explanatory, but here ya go. Take off the stock AFM, replace with supra AFM. The supra AFM has 3" diameter openings on both sides, the stock is 2 7/8" going back to the engine and square going into the air box.
I reccomend that you take the intake to the boneyard or plumbing supply store to make sure it all fits before you take apart the stock configuration.

I felt there was a better throttle response and a slight increase in power, though I think my top speed is perhaps unchanged. I don't know if it has impacted mileage. I am not sure how it will impact smog, but I'll update it when I find out. I should note that I had a cone filter on my stock AFM prior to the swap. I also have a header which may impact the results in a positive manner. Other than that I have a stock rebuilt 22re.

I got the idea from Jeff Mosks page, and I think he got it elsewhere. you can read about it here.
Jeff Mosk stuff
Also here is a 4x4 wire thread that has the most discussion and feedback that I have found. Jeff has a little more to say about it there.

Now the pics:

The opening

side by side

I don't know what this adjustment is for shown in the center. Anybody?

If you want to simply add a cone filter to your stock filter you can buy a 4" plumbing cap, drill holes for the bolts and adapt a 4"diameter filter.

See less See more
#2 ·
The couple Ive used did not have that adjustment. There is one K&N that fits that diameter perfectly, easy on/off.

I dont know if you did, but Ive always swapped circuit boards in these.

#3 ·
circuit boards and filters

The couple Ive used did not have that adjustment. There is one K&N that fits that diameter perfectly, easy on/off.

I dont know if you did, but Ive always swapped circuit boards in these.
Here is a pic of the engine compartment. For the filter I used filter similar to a k&n. It allows for 3", 3.5" and 4" diameter fittings, and also the top is not solid, so there is better flow. It was also about half the price.

I did not swap the circuit board. The 82 is the only year that doesn't require that according to everything I've read. It runs great as well! The 82 is also hard to find due to the old celica guys picking them up. I had it shipped from a boneyard for $55.

#4 ·
I guess that the larger Diameter is there because it has 6 Cylinders. So the 4Cylinder is not going to move as much air so it is not going to pull the door open as much and therefor its going to give it less fuel.

For the record a 89 Supra with the GE (no Turbo) I believe will be found to be a bolt up to the factory box, has the correct plug and meters out to the same Values.

#5 ·
from the link I posted above said:
The 22RTE AFM's traceboard was designed to provide a signal to the ECU to fire four (4) 295 cc/min injectors at 6 psi of boost, for a total load of 1180 cc/min (@100% duty cycle). The 5MGE AFM was designed to provide a signal to the ECU to fire six (6) 195 cc/min injectors, normally aspirated, for a total load of 1170 cc/min (@100% duty cycle). In other words, these two AFM's are each designed for virtually identical fuel volumes, so it's interesting to me that Toyota spec'd the smaller AFM for the 22RTE
I checked the napa site for fuel injectors and they give the same part for the 22re and 22rte. Also same parts for the AFM's on both engines.

Also I can't find any info on the 89 supra AFM ever being used on a 22re. It would be a 7mge right? All of the information I could find suggested the 82 was the ONLY afm that didn't require you to swap your circuit board. Would you please post something more concrete so that this thread is not so vague like the others that cover this topic.

#13 ·
supra is 3225 sq mm. (I converted units after running the equation:shaking:) So in a stock configuration the AFM itself is not a bottleneck. As stated with a larger tb it is. I imagine it is fairly insignificant, but the larger area, though not continuous, will yield less friction.

#14 ·
My understanding is that this combo isn't terribly easy to tune, especially when going to aftermarket injectors. It's not custom efi and the fuel/air requirements don't necessarily scale in a line.

I'm interested in hearing your feedback on how it works and what you end up with. For tuning, spend the <$199 to get a wideband, I'm sure it will help you in a big way if you're going to tweek this combo.

#16 · (Edited)
wideband o2 sensor

Ok, I read as much as I could find about the wideband o2 sensor. It sounds like an NTK sensor is decent? Is there an application or part# I should use? The universal sensors are also very cheap. Any problems with those???

Edit: i searched and posted some more info here since it is really a different topic not specific to this mod.

#15 ·
I know it's a little off subject, but I used a V6 Camry AFM in my 3.0 Runner. It was a little larger, and also allowed use of an aftermarket filter. Also, I didn't have to swap anything out, bolted right in.

#20 ·
One suggestion guys - and I've done similar filter mods like above, just to get stuff done and running.

You're putting a lot of time and effort into getting most power out of the 22RE, but you're now sucking air from a really hot area... And the difference between 100 degree air and outside air can make a big difference in power - easily 20 hp, especially if it's cool out...

Best would be to find a cold air source, but not in a location that's subject to mud/water/etc...

#22 ·
Maybe I missed it in the post somewhere but why are we running the plumbing to where the battery is? I just got a snorkel for my 87' I'm running cold air filter now and doing a bit of a mock up I couldn't help but notice how beautifully it would all fit together just by turning my air box around then the factory intake hole lines up pretty near perfect for the snorkel and the afm sits nicely connected up to factory plumbing across radiator. I'll get pics when i put it all together asap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.