Pirate 4x4 banner

What axle is better off

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Chass 
#1 ·
I have my stock 87 8inch, and I have a 97 tacoma axle with a factory E-locker. If i got the tacoma axle i would have to re-gear. Or would I be better off just making the E-locker fit in my 87 axle?

#2 ·
is your rig IFS? Think what you want to do later on more lift? bigger tires? If you do your gonna need to regear. I say regear a the taco rear axle

#6 ·
I'm looking and re-gearing isnt as much as I thought. Is 5.29 to low for 32 inch tires? It came factory with 4.30's. I have a 1987 4x4 automatic 22re pickup. Im wanting to do like 34's or 35's when these tires are done. I was wanting 5.29's but looking at the intercotire.com chart it looks like 5.29's might be to much.

#7 ·
That is pretty low for 32's. I have run them with 37's and 38's, and they seemed to do well around that size. If you still have 4.30's in your truck, Tacoma's were available with 4.30's from the factory. You could just regear that Tacoma axle and leave the front alone. That would be a great gear for 32's.

#9 ·
Just stick the whole axle under there, housing, brakes and all. If it is not from something that was coil springs it is mostly bolt it. Why do more work then you have to. Regear it and the front end. If the biggest tire you think you will ever run is a 35 go 4:88.

#10 ·
I have a friend who runs 5.29s on his 22RE 4runner w/ 33" tires. It is a 5 speed though, I think with the auto 5.29s will be too low though.

Always smart to think ahead though. With the 22RE, 5.29s are the way to go for 35" and up tires.

Sell the 87 axle and your current tires. Swap in the Tacoma axle, re gear and find some used 35s. People are always selling good condition 35s..

#11 ·
With the auto, 5.29's will be FINE with 32's. Some of the v6 auto's came with 4.88's and 31's STOCK.

The auto trannys are geared really high and work a lot better with lower axle gears. It has a higher overdrive than the 5spd, so highway rpms won't be nearly as bad as it would with a 5spd.

I ran 5.29's with 33's and a 5spd for a while and it wasn't that bad. Highway rpms were high, but not unbearable. You will be better off with the auto.

#13 ·
um yeah, with 4.30 gears and 33's and 4 cyl and auto in a toyota = bring the suck. I already went that route (not on purpose) slowest thing on the fucking planet. Wait till the tranny overheats and locks up, its awesome :shaking: I was going to re-gear to 5.29's like all my friends told me to, but it was easier to just dump a 3.4 into it and be done :D

#14 ·
The Tacoma axle is 2.5" wider than the IFS rear axle. If thats not an issue for you, then run the whole thing.

I have one out of a 4 runner in my 88 truck. I like it. I've broken 3 stock shafts though. I don't think those shafts are as strong as the IFS shafts. Won't be an issue for what you've described though.

Run the elocker rear end. Its less work any way you do it.

Chass
ct

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.