Pirate 4x4 banner

Electric fan whoas...

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  hardline04 
#1 ·
alright i'm about to fucking flip out, cuase i'm at wits end on the wiring. i still don't have the turn signals and tail lights issue worked out and now this damn electric fan is giving me a fight. i went to pepboys and bought a relay wiring kit for a set of fog lights. then basically chopped it to shit and all that happens is the relay keeps clicking and the fan doesn't come on. no i'm not get a thermastat switch, cuase i'm really wanting it on a switch. here's the before and after diagrams of what i've done. please help me out here guys.

BEFORE

AFTER

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I can't tell a lot from the your modified drawing. I can tell you how to do it, but I will need to know the diagram of the relay. Also, if it's clicking, you have the energizing coil wired right. Your fan power is not there. Are you trying to switch power or ground to the fan? I can hook you up, just need a little more info. I have the same fan you have but switch it with a temp switch.

Worm

#10 ·
Batt(+) to 87
Then a jumper from 87 to 85
Run a wire from pin 86 to one of the switch pins. Then a wire from the other switch pin to ground.
Run a wire from pin 30 to Fan motor pos(+)
Run a wire from the fan motor neg(-) to ground.
If the fan motor is good, and the battery is not dead, it will work.

You will be switching ground to the relay coil which in turn switches power to the fan motor.

#13 ·
I think that you will find that:
That fan is of poor overall quality and not enough cfm (for a 22re). If you go through a puddle ect. the fuse will blow. How do i know? several years ago a friend and i went through the same thing, with a 4.3 and a 20r.

That relay will work for a while but the fan pulls much more than 16 amps on startup, then stabilizes. Would not be surprised if it takes more than 30 on startup.. blowing your fuse. You might try and run two of those relays in parallel and with a fuse for each.

Im not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but it was a headache for me. I now run an oem fan with a del city solenoid and am very happy.

#14 ·
ok guys i tried the diagram that seabass sent me, and it works awesome! thx man:flipoff2::smokin::flipoff2:. i use my truck as a daily driver and today i drove it all over the place with no issues except for when i came out of my driveway:mad3:. the wiring kit came with a 15 amp fuse, since i used 12 and 10 gauge wiring, i just swaped in a 30 amp fuse with no other blown fuses all day. i had no other issues even after the rain i drove though today. just make sure you tape up all connection areas and you should be good. i hope seabass doesn't get pissed, but here's the diagram i used with pilot wiring kit for fog light from pep boys. whole set up ran me about $90

#15 ·
I would have posted it, but have not been able to size a drawing to work on here.

someday I will have all my wiring sheets up on my website:)

glad you are up & running:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.