Pirate 4x4 banner

performance engine ??

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dcg9381 
#1 ·
:flipoff2::mr-t::homer::smokin::mad3::spam:so i just built or shall i say had built a 22re. new bottom end pistons, rods, rids wristpins.. stock.. i bought a performance lc engineering head with 1mm bigger valves, stiffer springs, a mild crane cam, have part numbers if needed, a long tube header and new open element air intake... it is running real good with good top end power but i pulled a plug and it looks like it is running pretty lean...

my question is since i upgraded all that stuff what kind of fuel management, timing, hell i dont know but it blew a head gasket already and i know the engine was built great... injectors, fuel pump, pressure regulator,, what... its not like i want a nascar engine just not all that money to get ruined/not used to its potential..

Barnes

#2 ·
It doesn't sound like you've done enough mods to warrant much as far as injection changes go. I'd send the injectors out to get cleaned/checked/matched and watch your plugs. Make sure you use new head bolts and a quality gasket on the head. If you do want to upgrade, get a bigger afm from an 82 supra, bigger injectors from a supra and a plug n play megasquirt from dcg9831. That will be a reasonably priced way to go.

#4 ·
What header you running? More then likely you header is the problem.
If it isn't the header its your EGR.

These guys can turn your injectors around in about 24-48 hours.
http://www.tdesystems.com/
They can't do the cold start but no problem with the mains.

#12 ·
Pulling plugs in general isn't going to validate a lean condition overall. An A/F meter will. That head, to me, looks not to be surfaced, but out of the box fresh, on the deck. That is a no no. Have it checked before reassembling it to your engine. Don't skimp on gaskets, pay now, or pay more later. Try the resurface, and at the very least, a Corteco gasket. Is the O2 sensor still in the mix?

#15 ·
Don't buy anything else until you understand what's going on with that motor.. Is it running lean? Is it running rich?
There isn't a magic combination of parts that works great for every motor out of the box with the 22RE.... If you want something out of the box, you'll need to spend $6000 with LC to get a longblock motor and a pre-tuned EFI system, assuming they sell that combination and guarantee it to work.
Make that $7000 after they require new injectors, a specific intake manifold and a special TB.

You have a good combo of parts - lots of reasons why they could have failed.
Throwing more parts at it won't help... The supra stuff requires even more attention to tuning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.