Pirate 4x4 banner

vented rotor swap

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  7.62FMJ 
#1 ·
searched many times now, one things not clear, do I re-use my old wheel studs? 85 solid front Axle, 89 IFS calipers, 83 FJ rotors.

#2 ·
Look What I Found In Less Than Five Minutes

:eek: ..always try searchin' the Toyota FAQ first.. so much has been covered here.

Official PBB Toyota FAQ

Brake Rotor Swap – Vented Front

Some folks like to swap out their solid rotors for vented rotors. This is a simple and somewhat inexpensive modification. I did this swap because my brakes were getting very hot and making some very annoying noises. If you can change your brakes you should not have any problem with this swap.

79-80 toyota mini axles -> Rotor bolts onto hub with 6 bolts and the wheel studs are pressed into the hub only. For Land Cruiser vented brake swap you must use 79-80 LC rotors.
81-85 toyota mini axles -> Rotor bolts onto the hub with 2 bolts and the wheel studs are prasses through the hub and is pressed into the rotor. For the Land Cruiser vented rotor swap you must use 81+ LC rotors. Uses Toyota 90942-02053, Dorman #610-264 or Napa 641-3126 wheel studs.

The Landcruiser rotors are wider because they are vented but otherwise fit right on with no other modification besides the caliper.
The caliper comes in two flavors... one has two larger pistons and two smaller, and another has four pistons that are the same size. The ones with four large pistons would technically give you more braking force. I used the same pads because mine were still fairly new... so you don't need new pads unless yours are low.
Also.. http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=186135

Also.. http://mywebpage.netscape.com/beanz2dt/index.html

:shaking:

#3 ·
Well I've read that section in the FAQ a thousand times, and damn near have a Dorman and Napa part number memorized, but it does not say you can re-use the old wheel studs :flipoff2: That would lead me to believe that I need to get my ass down to NAPA and order 12 wheel studs to make this work. I also don't frequent offroad.com very often either so thank you for the link.

#4 ·
always hidden i plane sight..

Well I've read that section in the FAQ a thousand times.. I also don't frequent offroad.com very often either so thank you for the link.
i read it enough to NOT see anything about needing new lug studs.. and i used this cool NEW site to find the other links :flipoff2: http://www.google.com

..you're welcome :D

#5 ·
I just picked up my 85 wheel hubs and mounted FJ60 rotors at the machine shop yesterday. After driving all over the county looking for the correct studs (the part numbers listed in the Toyota FAQ's do NOT fit) I dropped them off at the machine shop on Tuesday. I went back yesterday and the machinist told me that the studs were oversize and would not press into the holes in the 85 wheel hubs. He had to drill out the holes in order to get the studs in. Also the brand new rotors were out of true and required turning on the lathe. All in all, it cost $170 :eek: just in labor to get the rotors mounted up, and the new studs pressed in. I think that next time I will just use the 79-80 wheel hubs that use the 6 bolts (much like the later IFS ones) so that the wheel studs are not affected.

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Depending on the prior abuse. I wont reuse any wheel studs cause lets face it the pounding that they take during wheeling and the stress of tighting them over time puts stress on them and its a good idea to get new ones; for the cost the piece of mind is priceless.

#10 ·
Bump...

Anyone use V6 calipers with this swap? I am halfway done with the swap on my '85. Got the new rotors (from WabFab) on the hub. I still have to press the studs in. I'm re-using the old ones as they are just fine, and look new.

The V6 calipers are just a tad larger than the 4cyl's, as I had to cut 1/4" off the bottom on the backing plate. I bolted them on to mock them up and they seem to fit and work just fine. I am just looking for confirmation before I go ahead and assemble the entire hub and throw the tire back on it...

Oh, and does anyone have a picture of how the damn spring goes in the caliper? The one that comes in a bag with the calipers, and holds the pads away from each other. I've never done it on these trucks and don't have one to compare it to...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.