Pirate 4x4 banner

diesel swap?

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  89'toyvolet 
#1 ·
tried to search and couldn't bring up anything......just wondering what kind of diesel swaps have been done in a toyota?.....any feedback would be helpful.....thanx a lot:D

#2 ·
I swapped a VW 1.6TD into a 2wd automatic pickup, finishing up a few minor details. I know a few others have done the swap but we dont get much feedback. You can get a toyota diesel halfcut and have everything you need for the conversion, I must have made 50 trips to the junkyard to get everything I needed.

#4 · (Edited)
Guess you didnt either :flipoff2: all i get when i open the link is an error saying no matches found try different search terms. If it just my computer being stupid then my bad. Like he said though do a search. Theres a thread about a new company that gets toyota half cuts imported and does swaps. Ill see if I can find it later tonight for ya.

#7 ·
I'm seriously considering the 3L yota turbodiesel as my 3.slow replacement when the time comes.....but damn it's an expensive motor!

#10 ·
I hate it when google doesnt work cause when it does you would find all this info
http://www.toyotadiesel.com/forums/index.php?
or heres a good one
http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/toyotadiesel/

there are so many different swaps you can do for your toyota or you can go buy a first gen with a toyota diesel in it
what you can swap
L (aka 1L) -- 2.2L normally aspirated
2L (pre-1988) -- 2.4L normally aspirated
2L-T (pre-1988) -- 2.4L turbo
2LII (post-1988) -- 2.4L normally aspirated. Same block as the original 2L, but totally different otherwise. Different head, different timing belt/pulleys. Still referred to as just "2L" by official Toyota literature/manuals, but enthusiasts usually refer to it as the 2LII to distinguish it from the original 2L.
2LII-T (post-1988) -- 2.4L turbo. Same notes as the 2LII.
2L-TE -- 2.4L turbo /w EFI. Mechanically, the same as the 2LII-T, but with electronically controlled injection. You can turn a 2L-TE into a 2LII-T by replacing the the EFI unit with a mechanical injection pump from a 2LII-T. Lots more wiring involved if using this engine for a swap, but several have been completed successfully.
3L -- 2.8L normally aspirated.
5L -- 3.0L normally aspirated. I've gotten the impression that this engine is rather uncommon, and don't know of any 5L swaps.
if you are a baller swap in a 1kzte
or you can swap in a non toy engine
vw tdi engines work great
ive seen cat and cummins

or if you want a diesel professionally swapped for you check out
http://www.dieseltoyz.com/
they will swap a 1kzte into your truck for about 6k plus the cost of a half cut roughly another 6k

if you do decide to do the swap be prepared to spend some MONEY there are lots of companies that are building parts for the conversion the most difficult part for most of the swaps is the wiring

search search search

#11 ·
i put in a toy 3B from the canadian spec landcruisers

3.4L IDI 4 cyl, 90hp @ 3900, 167 ft/lb @ 2000, pulls way harder than the 22re, avg. 20-22 mpg with lead foot, soon to be bombed :D

#12 ·
Check out the FAQ under engine swaps, Ive got a decent thead started on diesel swaps, currently Im looking for a decent priced VW TDI motor.

Peace

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.