Pirate 4x4 banner

Land Rover Range Rover 3,5 EFI v8 1986

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bigarms23 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried this motor in a pickup or 4runner? It's such a nice motor, it runs so smooth

and I can get it for free.

#2 · (Edited)
wait a minute now, i just did some googling and a little wiki and - is this engine also called the "buick 215 v8" ?

It's output is the same a gm 4.3 v6 tbi, but how about torque? It is a v8 after all

I can only find info on the carburetted rover version of the 3.5 v8, it has 160 hp at 5200 rpm, and 285nm at 2600 rpm. Not sure on the EFI version

Will buick hardware fit to the engine even though rover messed with it?

#4 ·
It's not a common swap because that motor would be hard to find & expensive for most of us. Might be a more common swap in the UK - if you can find a forum for such.

If you swap it, just balance the "free" cost of the motor against the cost of additional driveline conversion and your experience level with EFI / electronics.... It'll be hard to get help in the states on that one.

#6 ·
i am unable to find an adapter for the toyota transfer case, so I guess I would have to use the rover gearbox and transfer. Good units however the work and fabrication I think will not outweight using the rover v8 instead of the gm 4.3, just because it's a v8 and just because it sounds oh so good and just because it's a solid engine :)

#7 ·
ask over in the rover forum

the aluminum v8 is pretty abundant from what I know, just don't overheat it or its junk (sorry for lack of technical info:smokin:)

#10 ·
does the th700 share the same bolt pattern as the th350 and 400? I would like it to stay 4 speed.. I dont know what the 400 is though.

I was mainly thinking about this swap because the engine is free, it looks smaller than the v6 so I think it should be easier to fit into my pickup..

However I don't know anything about the EFI, wiring fuel pressure and such so i would have to do some research.. The light weight of the engine is also very tempting :) 140 kg dry weight.. nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.