Pirate 4x4 banner

Cooling Buggy, Rear Mounted Radiator

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Rokcrler 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I took the buggy out, this weekend, for the first time this summer. All was well till along set of hill climbs one after another. I heard a pisssss..
Looked back and the over flow bottle was pissing fluid.

I run a 22R on Propane, The Radiator(From a V6) is mounted behind the two seats, will a small tranny cooler, in front of the radiator.

I have been running a Tauras Electric Fan, the winter months I had it blowing forward for heat, well I switched, to pull instead of push, due to summer time.

At first I thought I had to much gear around it, wasnt getting enough air... So relocated it, and worked fine, then noticed it creeping up again...

The Buggy got up to 240, the other times it would get to 220, and I would shut it down, let it cool to 180-190.

I am running the stock water pump. So I am wondering is this suffecient? The water is plumbed under buggy, thru Muffler pipe, then into regular radiator hoses. I did notice maybe, the exhaust running next to return line, may need some heat wrap.

Are most guys running dual fans?... I could have one Push, and one Pull. Upgrade to a faster fan? Upgrade water pump?

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a BBC in my rig. Rear mounted rad, stock pump, dual tfans.

I would say that you prob still have air in the system.

#5 ·
make sure you have a decent shroud and all the air out of the lines. I had a single flexalite fan on my old buggy (stock radiator and pump). Without the shroud, it would get too hot, but once I added the shroud I had no problems, even in 105+ degree weather.

you can kinda see my setup here

#8 · (Edited)
Exhaust pipe not big at all, stock hoses fit over it...

I second that on the air in it... we took the cap off, and let it run, then turned it off, we put two normal bottles of water in it... Probably need to work on that some more. We just cycled turning it on/off twice.

Roc Doc, mine is just mounted to radiator, like in pic

Lost it, Where is your shroud in the pic.... Looks like my setup with the Tauras Fan, but my propane tank sets behind my radiator.

Anybody else got ways of getting air out.

#11 ·
Lost it, Where is your shroud in the pic.... Looks like my setup with the Tauras Fan, but my propane tank sets behind my radiator.
its on the back of the radiator. I know the pictures isn't very good. I'll see if i can find a better one when I get home. When I built it I was in a hurry and pretty much broke so it needed to be quick and cheap. I had some 3/4 tube square tube laying around, so I built a rectangular frame about the same size as the radiator, and little tabs on the side of the radiatior that the stock shroud bolts to. I then screwed some sheetmetal to the back of the frame, cut a hole the same size as the fan in it, and bolted the fan on. It was simple, but turned out pretty good.

#9 ·
point down hill and keep it running and cycling, squeezing the hoses if you can. Mine had issues and I had to disconnect the hose going to the thermostat and pre fill there. After that all was well after letting it run.

#10 ·
Thanks, I will point it down, hill, cycle it, every what 2 minutes, adding water each time... if need be?

I did notice it only over heated on long, hill climbs or after sitting a long time on a up hill angle.

Keep it coming.

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks guys... I plan on doing it this weekend.

Edit

Anyone ever put a Bleeder Screw on the Thermastat Neck, to remove the air? Just was thinking that is close to the highest point, and that may work... I remembered older Chevy's use to run them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.