Pirate 4x4 banner

why do i still have no flex?

5K views 62 replies 33 participants last post by  subliminaltrips 
#1 ·
ok i just got done putting the 63" chevy's on the rear. the truck flexes more then it did before but it doesnt flex as much as i thought it would with the chevy's on it. do you think that it flexes just fine for the chevy's? or do you think something is wrong? i mean the truck next to mine is an ifs and its flexing better.

See less See more
#13 ·
The Chevy springs plain don't work without weight on them.
That is true of ANY spring.

Its all about "spring rate", which is measured in pounds per inch. Its pretty simple, really:

If you don't have many pounds, you won't get many inches.

:D

(In other words, if you don't have many pounds, you need a lower spring rate to get more inches)

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
the front isn't flexing because there is no weight in the rear also. what is there to pull down the rear corner to make the front corner compress more. put 400 pounds on the back of it and see what it does. I noticed with a bed full of camp gear is when the front and rear suspension worked best. but you better have some strong diffs and shafts to take the weight.

#11 ·
as shamb said the shackle does even seem to drop. I'd check all the bolts for the shackles front and rear. and as anarchy said turn the truck around and see what happens. Weight is a big issue and if you still don't have any flex after checking all that shtuff. then more weight on the bed portion would help

#16 ·
Look man....

You need to add a bed, a tool box, fill the tool box full of all the goodis and whatever else; ie sapre tire, high lift, winch and etc...

Maybe a seat and a real fat chick would help:flipoff2:

Seriously though. MORE WEIGHT YO. Needs more cowbell too.

#27 ·
Stock Chevy 63s work mint on the RadioFlyer. Do they make my ass look fat? :flipoff2:

12" Rancho shocks are limiting flex. Need 14-15" travel shocks out back.

Rears up front working good too but again, crappy 12" Ranchos bring the suck. :(

Sean :cool:

#28 ·
x17 on the no weight.

They really are stiff with no weight on them. Mine are stock 2wd 1/2 tons with the overloads chopped off into a 6" block.

At first, with a lightweight tube bed, and no much weight back there, they were stiff. I added a full size 36" spare, a trunk(rubbermaid action packer) right at the back, which I have my tools, jack, fluids, spares, maybe 125 lbs, also added storage for a 7 gallon water jug(ballast, as I call it).

That all got the weight from the cab pushed back to the rear of the truck. Its a good bit better now. Enough for me, at the moment. The front (stock 83 rears) still out-droop it. Spending 3 days in Tellico without the rear weight, then 3 days in Harlan with the weight on the back, it is MUCH more stable and balanced feeling. Just felt more planted. In tellico, I had 3 ft of air under the back tire sometimes on really nasty stuff.

Not the best pic but you can see from the angle of the tire that its flexing well enough.

The original setup was like yours, no weight in the back: You can see its flexing much more in the front:

#29 ·
do you even have shocks out back? I can't see any in the pics....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.