Pirate 4x4 banner

rebuild - help

587 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Grim Reaper 
#1 ·
So decided to rebuild our 90 4runner , we had a shop do the long block and did the high performance option . I had to reinstall it myself , i have only done this twice before in older trucks .

So i get it all together and it starts right up and holds a high idle til its warm , then the idle drops to where it should be (around 1000) and then fluctuates just a lil up and down ... and when i try to rev on it I have to do so slowly or it will splutter or backfire out the intake ... Im certain i have everything hooked up right again , and i cant figure it out .. i was thinking vacume leak , but ive found nothing ...Any Ideas ?

#3 · (Edited)
Well the high pro was this Hypereutetic pistons , oversized valvles , comp cam , fully balanced , and new heavy duty hi-flow head , port and pollished ...

I got the timing set , started from TDC , and then after started set timing at 5 degrees BTDC , set valves to .008 int - .012 ext , and other than that , i dont have the tool to check the codes ... what do you mean TBS adjustments ?

its a 4 banger by the way ... 22re

#5 ·
oh ya , i had to disconnect the TPS when i cleaned the intake , and it was really stiff inside , so i gave it a shot of w-d , and it loosened it up a bit . I did try to adjust the play in it , but it was hard to figure out , one way it made the idle way higher and the other way slower , but i reved it both ways and it still seemed to do the same ...

what would paper clips do for me ?

#9 ·
The TPS (throttle position sensor) is critical to having that engine run right.
You're going to need to go through the full procedure of setting it up correctly, setting your idle speed, etc. Just walk through it in the manual.

If you suspect a vac leak, start spraying stuff down.

Report back after you go through the basic procedure, you'll get some additional ideas for debug.. Sounds like a nice motor.

#10 ·
Check the TPS

The same thing happened when I swapped out my 22RE. You need to check the TPS using the procedure in the manual. You more than likely screwed it up when you sprayed it down. They are very sensitive, carb cleaner did mine in. Your best bet is to replace it with a new one and properly adjust it. You could try taking it apart and cleaning with electrical contact cleaner, but it is not really made to come apart. To retrieve codes on a Toyota 22RE, you need to jumper over two terminals (little black deal right next to your fuse box under the hood) and count the number of times the check engine lighty flashes. These should be the same terminals that are jumped when you set your timing, again - check your Toyota manual.

#11 ·
Hold on a second. I'm rubbing my nut sack on my crystal ball and will have you an answer shortly.

Please make a $300 donation to my Paypal to cover my psychic cyber wrenching.

Learn to help yourself. Buy a decent manual with a decent trouble shooting guide and follow its recommendations.

Here is a Bone.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=1
Its not a 22RE but the FI is similar and between it and your POS manual you should get somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.