Pirate 4x4 banner

Removing rear leaf spring bolts???

13K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Im4yotas 
#1 ·
I am having a heck of a time removing rear leaf spring bolts from my 1988 Toyota 4runner. I have taken the nuts off and the bolts turn inside of the bushings. I have put the nuts back on and used a bf hammer and tried to bash them threw but they have not moved. WTF???

#3 · (Edited)
No, I used my floor jack to take the load off of the bolt. When I put my breaker bar on the bolt with the weight off of the spring the top leaf is flexing the same direction that I am putting torque on the bolt. I have used a can of wd40 and have used wedges and pry bars with not luck. The bolt will not budge.

#5 · (Edited)
I like a Sawzall for that kind of stuck bolt. Had to use it a couple of times installing a lift on my Jeep. Heating the bolt might be an option, except that would burn up the bushing and stink bad. Another foul smelling option is PB Blaster penetrant, which is good unless you are in a garage attached to the house - the smell will penetrate into adjacent rooms. I'm sure you already know to replace the bolt with a high grade fastener.

#6 · (Edited)
I had the same problem of several of my Toyota trucks. One of them I even cut the leaf springs off so it would have to weight/pressure on it. Oiled it, heated it, beat it, used c-clamps to try to press it out; I tried everything and ended up bending the leaf spring mounts trying to beat it out. Finally, I used the cut-off wheel and salvaged the hanger.

I am not sure of a good source for hanger bolts, but I got a set from Napa for a steep price because there were the splined ones.

GOOD LUCK!

#16 ·
I've been unable to remove those bolts from the bushings before. I had a set of springs where someone had cut the hanger to get them springs off the truck. I beat on those with a 5 pound sledge until the metal detached from the rubber in the bushing and pushed through. I used PB and beat on it some more just trying to teach those damned bolts a lesson. They never came out of the metal sleave. They are there today in my scrap pile. The old bushings beat right out with a big socket and the new ones went right in. When I put the toy springs in my sammi I just put 18 mm bolts through the rubber. It was a perfect fit and I didn't have to buy new bushings for that set of springs.

Chass
ct

#20 ·
Same thing on my 84. Used a cut off wheel to remove the head after a few sawzall blades got chewed up. I was able to cut right through the end of the bolt with the sawzall but had to use the wheel on the bolt head. After tweaking the shiza out of that hanger the spring dropped out. I had a bit of a chore getting spring back in right so I welded on a new hanger. PITA.

#24 ·
I just had this on a customer's truck. Bolt was locked solid to the bushing sleeve. Tried PB Blaster, punch and BFH for a while with no improvement. Got it out in 2 minutes with a cut off wheel and an angle grinder. Just cut the bolt in between the hanger and the spring so you don't have to peel open your hanger. Then press out the sleeve/bolt and replace with new bushings, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.