Pirate 4x4 banner

Pulling to the left

731 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  pickeledpigsfeet 
#1 ·
I've got an 88 runner that I put an AP SAS kit uder awhile back. After putting the truck back together I noticed how bad my DS angle was at the pinion gear. I've got the 3.0 auto combo...:shaking:. If I had the cash I would hve just put the inchworm adapter and swaped the TC so my setup wasnt so short or 3.4 5speed but since $ is an issue I chose to cut and turn the axle. Well everthing went great and the truck went back together (again), then I drove it and the thing pulls left like there is a 100 mph cross wind. I thought at first that maybe I didnt get the ends at the same angle, but then I checked it on the alignment rack and both are spot on. So then I thought it was a break dragging, but everthing is working fine. I checked the axle housing as best I could to make sure it was straight, but maybe it is a little bent. It came out of a stock 84 pickup that had never been wheeled so I figured it would be a good doner. Any one have similar issues or ideas about what could be making it pull?? It drove great the couple weeks before I pulled the axle and I even tried my AT's thinking maybe my mudders where somehow the problem. Any thoughts would be great as I am running out of ideas..

#3 ·
As long as your tire and wheel combo are acceptable, most alignment shops can check your alignment (using lasers) for about $10 bucks. No adjustments, just a check. I had to throw on some narrow 33s because my 37x13.50x15 Pitbull Rockers stuck too far out past the 15x10 rim.

Paid $9.99 which included a printed sheet telling me about my alignment. My toe was almost an inch out, and I discovered that the wheelbase on my passengers side is 0.3" shorter than the wheelbase on my drivers side.

My 1981 truck has always pulled to the right (since I bought it) which would make sense. I had measured my rear spring hangers time and time again and everything looked square. Turns out that the passengers spring hanger has been pushed in quite a bit by the previous owner. I am sure I've probably given it a couple good whacks while wheeling, but it has pulled to the right before I even began working on it.

For $10 I should have had it checked a long time ago. Save your tires and have a safe ride.

BigMike

#7 ·
The bearings were new when I built the axle and I had the alignment checked when it started the pulling. It never pulled until I cut and turned the knuckles. I never checked the spring purches after I finish welded them, mabey they are the problem..

#8 ·
I know you said your brakes are working fine, but this is exactly how my rig felt last weekend when i jumped in it to drive to the store. Couldnt figure it out, the brakes felt great and stopped in a straight line. So i though it was wheel bearings. Ended up being the smaller piston on the caliper was catching and cocking the brake pad so that it dragged just enough to pull. Popped it free in the bore with a big c clamp and now it is back to tracking straight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.