Pirate 4x4 banner

Opinions on the new Can-Back top

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  85blue4runner 
#1 ·
I just got of the phone with Can-Back, they said they shipped the new 4Runner tops out two weeks ago. I am in the market for one and am looking for people that bought one recently and what they think of them.

Anyone out there have one that they can share some pictures of? Also if someone has any pictures of the light bar that they sell or the roll up parts??

Any info is appreciated.

#4 ·
They start at $1200 and go up from there depending on the steel and accesories. Stainless adds another $100 I believe but you get 150 pounds of extra carrying capacity. Then you have the bars etc. A whole set up could run as much as $1800 plus shipping.

They are pretty pricey but should last a long time and better set up than the kay Line tops.

#5 ·
Just Got Mine yesterday, I have not yet installed as TruckCandy (company that sells Can-Back) forgot to ship the Foam tape for the rails and the bolts needed to hold the rails down. I ordered this in January :shaking: Took the fawkers 6 months to get it to me. It was promised that I would get it 6-8 weeks after the initial order. Major problems with the suppliers getting Truck Candy the items to complete the unit. After all was said and done I paid $1700.00 US. My kit included the load bars for the Roof Rack and the Stainless Bar upgrade kit. The quality is outstandining.....Ship time .......Fucked.

#6 ·
That is what I heard, they did not get the jigs to make them. They basically had to start form scratch but with the new design and parts it seems to be Worth the wait. Can't wait to see a new one mounted up and ready to go.

#8 ·
Cool, that will help. I am hoping somebody has the light bar option, would like to see if it moves the lights forward some or just a straight bar across the last span.

#11 · (Edited)
I do not know what the "roll up kit" has in it but a number of my friends that have Cam-Backs went to Home Depot, bought those collapsible paint roller extension poles, and use them and a soft towel covering the windows (helps keep them from getting scratched) too roll the sides and back up.

#12 ·
I used to have the problem with my lights reflection like that too, they were the old KC Daylighters. They sold little reflecters that you would mount under the light to keep the light of the hood and reflecting of anything else low. I would like to mount them on my bumper but I have no room there.

Good idea on the roller with the towels, I will have to take a look at that and see what can be done. I used to use a thin layer of cloth on my Kay Line top that was held on by velcro during the roll up stage. When the top was down I would just remove it and tuck it behind the seats.

#13 ·
Roll up kit

I had a CanBack from the original company. The roll up kit consisted of two fiberglass rods to roll up the sides - that's it.

I don't remember what I was charged from these rods but I'm sure they could be found cheaper elsewhere...

#14 ·
If you can wait until the end of September (my last Rubicon trip with it), I will be selling mine for around $600. It was the third one ever made and was an install article in 4x4 Power years ago. It will come with everything except the snap strip on the tailgate- we ended up screwing those in directly, so you can do the same. Even has the custom leather wrapped roll up rods. Go to All-Pro's website gallery and look at the Rubicon 2004 trip I believe- its the Ultra flat black 4Runner going up soup bowl.

Oops can tell you my Tan 4Runner Can-Back is in great shape for how old it is- just a few chaffes, etc, and also has stainless hoops and a spare Pacific Blue top that's like new. Charlie, the originator and I agreed that the Blue did not go so well with black, so he got me tan top a few months later. It has provided years of sun/weather protection, but now it's time to tube the back and start tenting it, as the Hammers are taking there toll on the sheetmetal.
PM me if interested, or it will be going on Pirates for sale boards by Oct.

#15 ·
Not sure if I can wait, I will take a look and see what I can do. Right now I have a ragged Kay Line top that will not cover the rear of the truck.

If you have some pics of it that show it better can you send them to me at

Buffethat@comcast.net That would be great also any of the extras you were talking about.

#16 ·
UPDATE.....

Sorry, I can't post pics at this time as Can-Back has not completed the order. There were parts that they were aware that did not ship, as well there were some parts that they were unaware that did not ship. As soon as the kit is complete I will post. Bryon Hibbets @ Truck Candy has been very accomodating and is shipping all items that were missed. From what I've been able to put together so far I can tell you all that the quality is outstanding.

#17 ·
I say make your own you can have someone make the top and sides for alot cheaper and as far as the frame you can either bend some tube or build one out of box tube I built one about 3 years ago it works great water tight everything I spent about 500 dollars and alittle time putting on all the snaps. here is a pic of just the top on if you want i can post some other pics of the frame and how the top connects to the body but it uses all stock mounting bolts so i can still run my hard top if wanted....

#20 ·
looked into this a few years ago with a buddy who does upholstery for BMWs and Mercedes. He was going to use Sunbrella Canvas and marine vinyl windows like from a boat soft top. He had all the connections to get everything and it was only a few hundred bucks in fabric. Then we figured out what type of tubing to use, how to fasten the plates, etc and figured it could all be done for about $500 if we did all the work and didnt pay ourselves for labour. He may be interested in making these if there are enough people interested...we also talked about just making the fabric part of the top for those who wanted to make their own support structure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.