Pirate 4x4 banner

FJ60 rotor/V6 caliper help

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  luvmeye22refi 
#1 ·
I was trying to install my V6 calipers on my 80 toyota solid axle knuckle but the caliper will not line up on the rotor correctly. I have done this upgrade on my 87 SAS rig, and had no issues (other than I had the calipers on the wrong sides of the axle so it wouldn't bleed right- LESSON LEARNED) but for some reason this one will not fit. The slot machined in the center of the caliper for the rotor does not line up. It appears that there is too much "meat" on the caliper mounting ears or the knuckle ears are too thick. I am thinking of taking the calipers to the machine shop to have about 3 or 4mm milled off the inside of the ears. I am trying to get this to fit, but I don't really want to have to take the entire knuckle/hub off the axle to drag in with the calipers. Anyone have this problem before? First the lug stud holes were too small for the correct studs, now this:mad3:

#3 ·
I am running the backing plate eliminators. The rotor does not line up with the "slots" on the top/bottom of the caliper. Don't know why this is the case on this particular axle/caliper combo(80 axle/V6 caliper/FJ60 rotor). I didn't have this issue with my 87 SAS truck(83 axle/V6 caliper/FJ60 rotor). I am wondering if it is possible that T-G sent me the wrong rotors? They are the standard 2-bolt type so WTF?

#7 ·
I believe that the bearing races are fully seated. (I packed the bearings myself and installed the seal.) I had them done at the machine shop, but I will pull them when I get back home and check. If the machinist did not seat them correctly, then he did the same thing on both sides because the calipers seem to fit the same on both sides. Will verify and advise. Thanks for the tech assist.

#8 ·
Assembly should go knuckle, spindle, backing plate center. Did you put the spacer in between the knuckle and spindle?

#11 ·
I'm having a similar problem with my v6 caliper, ifs hub body swap on my 85 solid axle. I'm trying to run the calipers flipped on the outside of the ears, but the caliper is hitting the rotor. To fit, the rotor would have to move towards the locking hub dial about 1/8". My knuckle and spindle are assembled correctly.

Has anyone else ran into this? Is grinding the caliper the answer?

#12 ·
Don't go buy a hardline at a dealer. I went to the local napa with my old one and all they had were the bubble flared ones, but it was cheaper still to buy their cheap flaring tool, and newer incorrectly flared lines and bend/flare them myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.