Pirate 4x4 banner

Offset Traction Bar

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Elvota 
#1 ·
I am planning on using a traction bar similiar in design to this one drawn and fabbed by 4rnrRick (hope it's all right I used your pic):

The problem I have is trying to stuff it under my 4Runner. With the PS fuel tank and DS exhaust I see only one way... something like this:

I am thinking of using bushings at the axle end. Any suggestions or opinions on how this traction bar will behave when the axle starts to articulate? Will the offset cause any problems that I am not seeing? I can't visualize whether or not it will start to bind in some way.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Offset is OK. I made a bracket out of 1 x 2 box and welded it to the diff housing, (as close to the third as I could). You're not locating the housing, you are just trying to prevent wrap.

I'll put some pictures up when I get home.

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
Having run both, I would do a shackle, rather than slip/twist setup. The slip is not as smooth.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I have considered the shackle style as well, does seem less likely to bind in the long run... but also seems like it may take more room than I have to work with. Probably not much though.

I'll give it a second look.

#9 ·
I've got the slip and twist version and I didn't notice any change in driving characteristics, but it seldom sees much speed or road time.. It nearly eliminated my axle wrap and it does great as a driveshaft slider. I cut a spiral groove in the inside tube and put a grease zerk on the outside one for "binding issues". Doesn't bind at all from what i can tell and seems pretty smooth...

I used bushings at all points and something in the neighborhood of .25" wall tube...

#10 · (Edited)
That's a stout looking bar. :smokin:

Are the other mounts at various points in your undercarriage from previous attempts? Looks like maybe your started shorter or even with a shackle style... was that the case?

If so, what did you learn from those attempts that brought you to this current design?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.