Pirate 4x4 banner

4 day no start mystery

1K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Lifelongtoy 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm just gonna lay everything out for you guys.

From the beggining, I had an air leak at my second injector seal. I pull everything off (intake, hoses, fuel line) and replace the whole injector and a new seal. I also took the opportunity to replace all the wires going to the injectors b/c all the plastic was rotted (spliced all new wires and plugs). When I put it all back together and tryed to start, nothing happened. All it would do was turn over.

I got out and kinda checked a few things but nothing helped. That was three days ago. Since then I'v spent every waking moment trying to think of what I did or didn't do.

Since it ran fine before, I figure it has to have something to do with what I did. But just to be safe I tested the spark and its all good. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator.

I am completely stumped, somehow fuel is not making i into the cylinders. Is is however making it to the rail with signifigant pressure, so the pump is working. And I think I tested the injectors correct by checking for continuity between the battery and the injector wires.

Help!!

See less See more
#7 ·
I don't understand. I need help with my truck so I come to this website which I was told was great, and the second person I get is lord orange telling me that I don't know what I'm doing that I should give up.

I was raised not to give up when you run into a problem, you ask questions and figure it out.

So lord orange, if you want to tuck your tail between your legs and go cry to a mechanic when your problems happen thats fine, but not me.

So thanks for wasting my time.

#14 ·
I don't understand. I need help with my truck so I come to this website which I was told was great, and the second person I get is lord orange telling me that I don't know what I'm doing that I should give up.
Wrong I told you to die. So your reading skills are bad.

The ground is in place but I just checked with the noid light and I'm not getting any pulse.

I'm wondering if the replacement injector (from ebay) could be causing this. If there is something wrong with that one, could it mess up the others?
Does your check engine light flash on when you put your key in and turn it on?

I feel like I'v tapped the FSM for all I could. I can't find anything that really relates. Or the Haynes for that matter.

What I did was go through the troubleshoot section of everything that applied to me. Is there a better approach to the FSM?

When I spliced the new connectors, I did it in a way that all four spliced ends are jumbled together. That may be tough to imagine, sorry. Would that matter?
When you spliced did you solider? A picture of your wires would help. The FSM is the best man. Hard to diagnose a jumble of wires.

#9 ·
The ground is in place but I just checked with the noid light and I'm not getting any pulse.

I'm wondering if the replacement injector (from ebay) could be causing this. If there is something wrong with that one, could it mess up the others?

#11 ·
#12 ·
I feel like I'v tapped the FSM for all I could. I can't find anything that really relates. Or the Haynes for that matter.

What I did was go through the troubleshoot section of everything that applied to me. Is there a better approach to the FSM?

When I spliced the new connectors, I did it in a way that all four spliced ends are jumbled together. That may be tough to imagine, sorry. Would that matter?

#13 ·
I don't picture what your talking about with the splices. You could check them with a voltmeter. Have you done that? I just have a hard time believing that you have done what the fsm tells you if you are asking if your injector is bad when the FSM tells you how to check it. Try pg. 219 (FI-50) of the FSM.

Refusing to put forth effort to understand, like carefully studying the FSM, is why you deserve the kind of response that you get from lord orange. You need to pony up and take it to somebody that knows whats going on.

#17 ·
Fuel pump turns on, not sure about ECU. I gave some info in the first post.

Fuck off if you are going to keep insulting me! I never claimed to know everything thats why I'm here. But I'm trying to learn.

Did you never have to learn anything? Never had to ask questions? What is the matter with you?

Yeah I'm probably younger than you, but automotive knowledge is not exactly common knowledge.

So if you need help with some biomedical research then you can come to me b/c that is my field and I won't trash you for not knowing what I know. Clearly automotive matainence, a topic I consider just as complex as anything else, is your field so I come to you and don't expect to be given shit.

So if your not going to help then stay away form the post, otherwise I'm willing to learn from any advice you guys may have. I don't know what else I can say.

#18 ·
Fuck off if you are going to keep insulting me! I never claimed to know everything thats why I'm here. But I'm trying to learn.
This is actually a very nice respsonse to your question so far. The old pirate would have flamed the shit out of you by now. If your question can be answered by the FSM toy tech on pirate is not the right place to post it. Try general or newbie, or a softer and gentler forum if you can't handle it. Or you can just learn to take it, because if you REALLY need help you will get it here eventually.

#22 ·
Ok, I'll try to clarify jumbled. Imagine a stockade, like the ones that people use to be put in while they were punished or something. That is the sort of splice I used; were the top closes over the bottom inclosing both wires in the same clamp. What I'm worried about is the clamp is made of metal which means that the two spliced wires are actually connected through the metal.

So if you look at your plugs that go onto the injectors there are two female prongs, one for each male prong on the injector. Each prong has its own wire that is individualy shealthed. I unsheathed both of them to splice on the new connector but now, through the metal splicer, the wires are touching. This is the case with all four connectors.

Would that have an effect on the pulse? Would that channel the pulse to the ground before it made it to the injector??

#23 · (Edited)
IF I'm reading correctly and both wires to a single injector are connected together (one being + and one being -) then yes your signal is grounded and no pulse signal will reach the injector. You need to cut this out go to the auto parts store and buy some good heat shrink butt connectors (the ones that when heated to shrink have a glue type sealer that seals the connection) and reconnect your plugs, or solder the conn. and use heatshrink tubing. Each wire being connected by itself.

#24 ·
on the 85 models and other years, all four injectors fire at once. I knoe it doesnt seem that way by the schematic but they do. in the wiring hardness down by the a/c compressor, all four wire will be splice into a metal splice. This splice has the habit of coming loose.

also the asm controls the fuel pump. if the plastic tube from intake to filter is not in place it will kill the fuel pump.

Just a couple tips, dont know if they help.

#25 ·
Ok, so I spliced them correctly without the wires touching. Still won't start but it is definetly trying. I feel so close. It sounds like its getting just a little bit of gas allowing it to catch for a second, but that's it.

The noid light are lighting up, but not as bright as I would have thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.