Pirate 4x4 banner

Gay timing chain issue.

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  subliminaltrips 
#1 ·
83 22r, bone stock. Just put a new ENGNBLDR t-chain set and oil pump on.
Purred like a kitten for a couple of weeks(hot or cold) and now it makes a lot of "chain noise" after it warms up. I haven't contacted ENGNBLDR yet(I'm working long hours on a job with no cell signal) and I haven't had time to tear it down and look inside either. My theory is after the oil(20-50) heats up and thins out, the tensioner(defective?) doesn't hold the chain sufficiently. I'm by no means "vendor bashing" with this, EB's service was great and I've heard they really go out of their way to make stuff right with their customers. I'm just curious if anyone else has had this sort of issue with a t-chain replacement.

#3 ·
it is going to have to come apart to check. diagnose it and contact the proper vendor to fix your problem. I put a new one on, it lasted a few months, and now the engine doesn't start because the set came apart somehow. not a engine builder but a napa set. I have a new motor to put in. so if you wait you better have a new engine to put in too. or pre-emptively buy some valves

#6 ·
20/50 is perfect for summers here in Oregon. I run 10/40 in winter.

Nothing wrong with 20/50. It helps keep oil pressure up in an old engine too. I've put 90 weight in an engine to make it run just a little longer!! We ran an old diesel tractor for a whole haying season with 90 weight in it just to get it done. Then we rebuilt it. I'm sure it wouldn't have made it otherwise.

Rick, I'm sure glad you gave me that same advice before I put that head on my truck. I've had ZERO issues. That engine runs like new.

Chass
ct

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
did you possibly instal the wrong bolt into the top oil pump bolt, if its too long it will hit the tensioner and it will bind.(take a look down the timing cover with a flashlight) the oil weight is a bit thick but i doubt thats the issue, there was a guy over on www.fattshack.com that had issues with the tensioner getting clogged with dirt causing it to no longer tension the chain, ted sent him a new one anyways. 12 - 14 ft lbs is the max on the tensioner.

sucks ted eats alot of installation errors. but i guess its how he built his reputation.

#10 ·
A buddy of mine did this very same thing. Installed too long of a bolt in the oil pump contacting the tensioner. He caught it before he started it by turning it over by hand. He had to disassemble the whole front of the engine because it tweeked the tensioner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.