Pirate 4x4 banner

Chevy 4.3 or Toyota 3.4?

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  NCscarecrow 
#1 ·
Im buying an 85 4runner and I want to swap in a different engine since it only has the 22re. Ive found adapters to use the chevy 4.3 w/ the w56 tranny but I cant seem to find one for the toyota 3.4. Do I have to swap out the whole transmission if I use the 3.4 or does someone make an adapter?

#2 ·
I would swap in the 4.3v6 from a chevy because 1 it costs less to do the swap 2 more parts avalible and 3 if you decide to put in a v8 later most of the v6 parts will switch over look for a vortec 4.3 with efi:D:D

#4 ·
If it was me I would put the Chevy auto in with it and adapt that to the toy cases. I love auto's for crawling though:D

#5 ·
The only thing the Shiv has gong for it is displacement. It's rougher, only slightly more powerful and it's a Chevy product so you know it's gonna take a dump on you about 150k before the Toyota motor needs it's firtst oil change. Chevy is garbage, keep it Toyota, besides, for the very minimal power gain of the 4.3 over the 3.4 (and it is VERY minimal) you loose a ton in gas milage.

#10 ·
If i were you which i'm not i wouldn't do either of those swaps, i would swap a lexus 4.0 v8 into it, factory it has more power than either the 4.3 or the 3.4., the cost of a 3.4 is pretty expensive last time i checked into it, like 1,200 for motor and wiring harness and computer, exhaust, misc parts where you can get a 4.0 for 600 with motor and harness and computer and exhaust, misc parts. and you come out with a super clean lookin v-8 swap. i have not seen very many 4.3 swaps that looked good at all they just look like crap, hell the 4.3 looks like crap in the factory trucks. just my 2 cents:flipoff2:

#11 ·
I am in the process of a 3.4 swap (actually gathering parts). So far with what I bought and the parts I have sold ( the 22re, trans, etc.) I figure I will be into it for around $3700. That's with the 3.4, trans, ORS full kit swap, ORS exhaust, and a Marlin taco trans adapter. I was sold on the 4.3 swap but then I fell into the 3.4 deal. I would say go with whatever you comfortable with or whatever you come across. Either swap is a good. My .02:flipoff2:

#17 · (Edited)
i can honestly say that i have no clue what goes into these conversions. BUT everyone is talking about the following topics when looking into the conversions 1) PRICE 2) difficulty of install 3) looks 4) power and lastly 5) PRICE!. well when looking into the many engines on the market i kept running into the chevy 5.3L which pushes about 275 hp from the factory and you can find them with motor and everything (minus tranny) for about $400-700 such as this one or hell even this one. also nowing that there are so many more opions to push the hp level over the 400-450 mark with that motor it would be one of my first choices. once again i have no idea how hard these installs are. if some of the experts could jump in and correct me on anything i have talked bout feel from to. i'm just trying to open a door to another motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.