Pirate 4x4 banner

Bigger tires or not

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  bAdYoTa 
#1 ·
I need some advice from everyone I'm thinking i want so me bigger tires my runner is set up with rears up front, 63"s in the back and I'm running 35x13.50x15 BFG Krawlers I'm thinking like some 39.5 or 40 in IROKS. This should give me some more diff clearence which would be nice. Am I gonna have to worry about breaking axles I'm running some old school cryoed and ringed birfs from longfield with stock inners and 5.29 yukons with a lockrite in front w/dual cases NEEDS SOME HELP DECIDING!!! Heres a pic also, oh and I live in Oregon where its always wet the Krawlers are great in dry rocks but pretty much suck in everything else.

See less See more
#3 ·
Is there a law that requires your trucks to be silver with blue exos up there in the PNW?

I bet our terrain here in MI is very similar to what you guys get. I've been running 36" SXs for 2 years with 0 breakage, just sold them and am moving to 38.5" SXs. I wouldn't want any bigger in this truck. Front's a 62" diamond with all the good parts, rear's an IFS with 1.5" spacers, we'll see how it does. Truck is pretty light, and the current plans are to go F-toy next year with it, since I can't keep sheetmetal straight, and don't want to add more weight (I have a lightweight tube bed, no exo).

Any bigger, you'll be wanting to get hydro, 30 spliners, etc.

#4 ·
I'm no expert but I would think at the very least to run 39's you would need 30spl longs,brace your axle,mod your fire wall and trim your rear more.
I was thinking of 39's but will go with 36' irok or 37' toyo's when the time comes to replace my 35' toyo's.I wonder how 39's would be on the road with 5:29 gears?

#9 ·
I have the 30 spliners studs gussets etc and 39 iroks. my biggest issue with the setup is it's too high. Not breaking axles. And yes my fenders are trimmed, front axle 3.5-4" forward. I'll be lowering it more, but look into lowering your lift if your running 4" or more.

#10 ·
well thanks everyone for the info I haven't decided yet what I'm gonna do but I have 5 35x13.50x15 Krawlers so if anyone wants to buy them that could make my decision alot easier. The tires only have about 500-700 miles on them the rig is a trailer queen. And about the silver w/ blue exo I was building my exo about the same time 4runner rick was doing his and I had already bought the paint prior to the start of it so what can I say we both have good taste in colors.......

#11 ·
I've been running 39.5's for about a year now. 30 spline Longs, Pig's rears, Sierra 5.29's, spool in the back, Lockright in the front, trussed to all hell and I love the pedal on the right. So far so good. Run the biggest tire you can afford and make it fit with 6" of lift or less and start getting busy with the plasma. Move axles around, spacers.

When something breaks then you'll know what needs to be bigger and better. 1 tons are nice but I hated dragging my ass on the rocks. The whole reason why I went bigger in the first place.

#12 ·
Am I gonna have to worry about breaking axles I'm running some old school cryoed and ringed birfs from longfield with stock inners and 5.29 yukons with a lockrite in front w/dual cases
The answer is YES, You will have to worry about breaking birfs with 39.5s on ringed longs. They were tough back in the day but they ain't gona hold up to 39.5s!

Chass
ct

#16 · (Edited)
Fenders only trimmed 1.25 all around. I did nothing to the wheel wells at all and they dont rub. 39.5 Irok's with well worn TG springs and 1 inch of body lift. My axle is a bit wider though at 63.5 WSM-WSM which might affect it.

#17 ·
i was running ringed long's and cromo long inners. welded front with 39.5 iroks on a similar weight rig. snapped an short side inner on the first day I had it out.

(but also broke a transfer case mount, and the rear lock-rite.

#18 ·
i was running ringed long's and cromo long inners. welded front with 39.5 iroks on a similar weight rig. snapped an short side inner on the first day I had it out.

(but also broke a transfer case mount, and the rear lock-

Yes a welded front or spool will break stuff everytime.

#21 ·
I want to go bigger but I don't want to have to buy 30 splines right now I do but I don't. I manage a tire store so the price of any tire is good so I could just sell mine and buy whatever I want.... I might just go to 37's and lower my rig and bump stop it......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.