Pirate 4x4 banner

3.0 and 3.4 flywheel and clutch differences... Anyone well versed in these?

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  toyjoeta 
#1 ·
Does the 3.4 flywheel and clutch work on 3.0?

I have an 88 4runner, that has the 3.sl0w and A340H, the trans is starting to take a crap on me, and I bought this thing with the intention of swapping out the engine and trans for a 3.4 and a manual. Yes I have researched this thoroughly, and have read through the FAQ, and have talked to someone who has done a couple...
I cant afford the engine swap yet, but need to swap transmissions now. I would like to use the 3.4 clutch and flywheel so when I do swap to the 3.4 I dont have to buy a new clutch and stuff... I looked them up and the part numbers are different, so I know they ARE different, just dont know if they swap... The trans is the same... sooooo.
Thanks

#6 ·
alright, bringing up an old thread. I think the throwout bearing in my 3.0 is bad (makes high pitch whistling noise when clutch is engaged and excessive burning smell when slipping the clutch).

I have and extra clutch kit for a 3.4 lying around (clutch, pressure plate, pilot and throwout bearings)

I was going to swap that stuff in, but according to this thread i need the 3.0 throw out bearing to make it work, Is this true? or can i use my 3.4 throwout bearing?

also if anyone has any other suggestions to the cause of my problem, then i'm all ears.

#7 ·
clutch

the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel are different from 3.0 -> 3.4. The 3.4 clutch is larger, an upgrade for a 3.0... the throwout bearings are the same. So if you want to tear it all apart to swap JUST the throwout bearing, go ahead, but if you want to use the 3.4 clutch you'll need the flywheel.
I have a 3.4 clutch bolted to my 3.0, I've swapped from an auto, and plan on swapping to a 3.4...

#9 ·
the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel are different from 3.0 -> 3.4. The 3.4 clutch is larger, an upgrade for a 3.0... the throwout bearings are the same. So if you want to tear it all apart to swap JUST the throwout bearing, go ahead, but if you want to use the 3.4 clutch you'll need the flywheel.
I have a 3.4 clutch bolted to my 3.0, I've swapped from an auto, and plan on swapping to a 3.4...
The throwout bearing from my 88 3.0 was significantly different from the one that came in the 96 3.4 clutch kit when I swapped in my 3.4. I had to use the 3.0 bearing and 3.4 flywheel, disk and pressure plate.

#8 ·
i was dong this install for my customers in socal because of the traffic here

they wanted a heavy duty clutch but there really hard to push for hours in traffic and the clutch pedal brackets in the v6 trucks are famous for cracking

so the customer gets a larger and stronger clutch while retaining the factory
feel and not stressing the pedal ass

i recommend this to people with 3.0 v6 all the time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.