Pirate 4x4 banner

V6 Diff??

1K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  ADD 
#1 · (Edited)
Somebody want to tell me what this diff is? I bought it about 5 years ago as a V6 housing. Now, I am about to have my 4th set of gears installed, and the last time I had someone install them in Moab, they didn't recognize it. I guess that should have been a hint. They don't look like any V6 Diff that I have seen on here. Thanks!

#13 ·
First post nailed it! (assuming it doesn't have a bearing girdle).

There ARE posts with pics of this diff on this site, you didn't search hard enough. :flipoff2:

If I get a chance, I'll look it up for ya...

#6 ·
I have looked at the FAQ here on the board. There are quite a few pictures of Differentials. This one doesn't have the bump or knob on top of the top flat spot near the flange like the v6 photos do. It has a small spine running down the middle.
I hope it's not the 4.88, it has had 3 sets of 529's in it so far! None of them lasted very long. Thanks

#14 · (Edited)
What gears came in it?

This may help a bit!

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/#types
And from this (my) site:

--------------------------------------------------------------
"Diff Housing (3rd member) Identification

4cyl has 3 ribs on each side. V6/Turbo has 4 ribs on each side and the trapezoid shaped top rib.

Note- Starting in about '96, the V6 diffs started using a casting that looks nearly the same as the T100/Tundra casting from the outside. However, it doesn't have the trussed bearing cap on the inside, and the outside uses the smaller 8mm mounting studs."
--------------------------------------------------------------

:flipoff2:

#22 ·
This may explain it to you;

Although somewhat rare, there is a version of this diff that came from the factory with 4.88 gears. The carrier (3rd member housing) has a different pinion offset so that the ring gear doesn't need to be as thick. This means that no gears other than the factory 4.88's will fit this particular diff. However, diff cases, commonly called carriers (factory, LSD, lockers, etc.), for the standard V6/Turbo diff should be interchangeable

So if you blow the R & P you have to get them from Toyota. Other then that there is nothing wrong with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.