Pirate 4x4 banner

which to build? 1986 4runner or 1993?

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Hyena 
#1 · (Edited)
i resently acquired a clean 1993 v6 sr5 4runner. all stock. the only problem is the air conditioning isnt cold(so, on board air), and there is some damage to the drivers door where theives tryed to pry in and get the stereo....in other words its perfect, and the price was right. the interior is mint, the girl who sold it to me was pretty good on maintenance and she had big cans:D

with the resent closing of fordyce, barrett may never open and hollister hills could possibly be on the chopping block, i see know need for a radical, chopped up rig since the days of bigs rocks and tight ravines are probably headed to the dinosaurs....another example, i drove my stock trd tacoma thru the gate keeper this last weekend at the rubicon without a scratch, i dont see the taming of the 'hardcore' wheeling in northern california ending by lazy forrestry management and mismanaged funds...whatever, im actually not to savy on the political junk, i just go to cleanups and pack out my poop or hide it under others seats...

unfortunately im still playing with 40'' tires and one ton axles, but maybe i should build the 1993 as an extreme camping mobile and ditch the exo truggy type 86 4runner im about 2/3rd done building??? what would you do if the state was taking away the majority of our playgrounds and you still wanted to build something, even if it wasnt a tubbed out rockcrawler??

See less See more
#3 ·
Fight the power.

Take the governor wheelin'.

Have your boys write letters.

Keep the local playgrounds open. What happens in Kalifornia affects the rest of us. Please say it ain't so!!

Finish the 86 with your current plans.
SAS the 93 with a stock '84-85 axle, and run 35's. Mild crawler/expedition rig.

#5 ·
I picked up an 88 runner to do a full build and SAS on. I've settled for an almost flat belly and 33's, left it IFS. It can wheel the shit out of any campground or parking lot around and still get me to work just fine. By the time it's SAS'd everything in cali will be closed. I'll build it after i move out of here. Cali has some of the best rocks and trails, but not for much longer.

Your 86 is badass so far, so I would vote to finish it.

#7 ·
The Taco and the '93 are already extreme camping-mobiles. :D No need to build them except maybe some traction aids and some bigger tires with no lift. Save your money-pit for the fun stuff while its available.

Anyway FWIW- I've wondered if my rig (and my planned next one) is over built. For what I use for most of the time, 33's, stock axles, and a dual stock t-case would do just fine, but I've got 37's, built axles a bling case, and planning links and all this extra crap I don't really need most of the time........ :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

The cool-factor does need to be considered though. :grinpimp:

#9 · (Edited)
You are getting as indecisive as an old lady at a pecker farm!!!!!!!:flipoff2: Build them both, you will get drunk and fuck both of them up, then you will build the Taco!!!!

I do not think you like to wheel anymore, just build since you can weld now!!!!!

#10 ·
Fj40 :flipoff2: I had to do some serious thinking before springing for my alloyed D60's last week. The only reason I did is because I want to be able to drive there and drive back with minimal spares and not worry about breaking. If you're going to doa runner, I'd go for the early style with the removable top

#13 ·
see, this is what happens when you turn to the dark side.....:shaking: build the 86...finish your destiny my son:vader2:

#14 · (Edited)
hahahaha. We need to get you a new hobby.

I have seen the 86 and if you just want a good camping rig it wont be it, too much triangulation:D

As you know i sold all my hardcore crap and went back to a single 4.7 tcase and 35s and a full bed so i can camp and haul dirtbikes and I have been happy with that decision. It makes it easier to justify all the $$$ if I can use it for more than just wheeling, I do get kind of envious when i see toys on 39" iroks, but I can drive mine on the street/freeway whenever i want now with very few tickets:D.

The 93 will allow you to keep your junk a little safer than the canback from the meth heads in oakdale also.

I would buy a 22re wiring harness for 2nd gen 4runner and swap the 3.slow out and the 22re from your 86 into it. Some 93s came stock with the 22re so it will be smog legal and you would get away from the suck that is the 3.slow(i have owned 2 of them).

Let me know if you decide to sell the 93, i might be interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.