22R is Locked Up....Help! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9771
22R is Locked Up....Help!

This motor ran when I pulled it out. The only thing I did was pull the intake manifold and header of the head to wash it before I painted it. I put news paper in all the ports and covered them with duct tape to keep the water out. When I drained the oil some water came out, so I know a little water got in. The tranny isn't bolted up so I know that's not keeping it from rotating. I loosened up all the valves and actually loosened the head bolts so the cam wouldn't be binding things up. What else could cause the motor to lock up? At worse I think something may have fallen into the motor while I was putting the propane kit on but I can't spin it clock wise or counter clock wise.

This is a pick from when I painted it. I also pulled the oil pan to paint it.

So what could have caused this motor to lock up before I pull the head and oil pan off?!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Member # 5579
How long has it been sitting around?

You could try pouring about a table spoon of Marvel Mystery Oil atop each piston, enough to touch the sides of the bores and fall into the compression rings. Let that side for a while, and then try to turn it over in a back-and-forth manner. It is more common for the cylinder bores to rust up slightly before the rods and main journals simply because there are more oil fumes in the sealed crank case.

Good luck
BigMike

(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295
My 511:1 Triple Cased and World's first 3RZ-powered 1st gen Hilux
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Member # 5579
Regarding something in your engine bores, pull a plug out and shine a light in there. You could push a magnet through the plug hole and fish it around for any loose metallic objects.

I really doubt this is the case. At best it would prevent movement in one direction and not the other (ie. in an up stroke maybe), unless someone sabotaged your motor!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 47089
How are you trying to turn over the engine? How long has the engine sat since it ran? Is it on an engine stand or on the ground like in the pic? Take the plugs out so you're not fighting the compression of the engine and try to turn it over with a cheater bar.

Use an LED flexlight like below and look into the cylinders through the spark plug holes for rust or obstructions. You probably have light surface rust on the rings & cylinders. Put a couple caps full of ATF (or Marvel oil like Mike suggested) and keep trying to turn it.

SeriesLandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9771
I forgot to meantion that the motor has only been sitting (in the garage) for about 6 months. I did take the plugs out and put some regular motor oil in all the cylinders before I even tried to start it. I've been trying to turn it with a cheater bar on the crank pulley bolt and I tried to turn the flywheel with my flywheel wrench. It's been sitting in my FToy (build in progress) all the time except for when I painted it. I didn't think the cylinders would freeze up that quick. I've seen motors sitting for years that'll still spin.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by chvyhs; 08-07-2007 at 02:37 PM.
chvyhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 31552
Send a message via AIM to abrogate Send a message via MSN to abrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
You could push a magnet through the plug hole and fish it around for any loose metallic objects.

Speaking from experience, BE VERY CAREFUL if you do this. The magnet I was using was on the end of a flexible metal rod, just like any magnetic pickup tool. The adhesive that held the magnet to the tool decided to let go and the little magnet stuck to the cylinder wall. I ended up having to pull the head anyway.

I felt like an idiot and still do. Don't join the club...
Old 08-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 76617
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyhs View Post
I forgot to meantion that the motor has only been sitting (in the garage) for about 6 months. I did take the plugs out and put some regular motor oil in all the cylinders before I even tried to start it. I've been trying to turn it with a cheater bar on the crank pulley bolt and I tried to turn the flywheel with my flywheel wrench. It's been sitting in my FToy (build in progress) all the time except for when I painted it. I didn't think the cylinders would freeze up that quick. I've seen motors sitting for years that'll still spin.

Thanks for the help.
How much oil did you put in the cylinders? and did you put the plugs back in?

F-TOY #22
Hi desert driveline
losi
rcp crawlers
A Samauri is not an f-toy
A samauri is not an f-toy
benttoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 22368
Quote:
Since you said you already loosened the head bolts - the head gasket will have to be replaced - so just pull the head off and look inside. It probably had a cracked head gasket when you pulled the motor and water rusted the pistons in place.

sounds like its time to rebuild the bottom end
Exactly what I was going to say, if your already that far and the engines out already just pull the head and take a look inside the cylinder's. See if anything has rusted up or................... ?

New Project in the works, 85' 4runner aka ?

R.I.P to ALL our brothers that have lost their lives doing what they love.
shamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9771
Well,
The Marvel Mystery Oil worked! Atleast the motor isn't locked up anymore. Next payday I'm going to buy the head gasket set and put it on. I wish I would have been a little more patient and waited to loosen up the head bolts. I'd be starting my motor right now and not playing on the computer.

Thanks for all the help,
Richard
Old 08-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Member # 5579
Cool, glad you got it freed up!

Regarding the headgasket, this may or may not be necessary. Did the head shift/move since you loosened it? If not, then pull each head bolt out one-by-one, put a drop of oil on the threads, and retorque that sucker following the proper torquing procedure, and get on with your life.

A headgasket really is not a challenging job to do in the future. Don't let it intimidate you.

BigMike

Old 08-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9771
I just loosened up the head bolts and let it get pushed up by the lifters. It went straight up and down. To tell you the truth, I was going to try and start it just too see what happens. I'm not worried about doing a head gasket on a Toy. I've done enough on Chevy V8's. Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 90318
while you're in there make sure the chain hasn't slapped a crack or hole in the front cover, I believe I read that you said some water came out with the oil, done tons of chains on those motors for that reason, if I didn't read right then just ignore this. just a thought
CarolinaTruggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 9771
Thanks for the advice. I'm new to Toyotas so I'll keep that in mind.

I actually started the motor tonite! I'm still going to have to get around to putting in a new head gasket before I take it out on the trail.