frame switchin' - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2002, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11444
Send a message via AIM to po'runner Send a message via Yahoo to po'runner
frame switchin'

need a little help, did a search but my problem is kinda specific...had a wreck in my 85 4runner, and bent the frame, not real noticeable unless you get down and look at it, but the passenger side hanger has been bent back a wee bit. i drove her from the accident to my buddy's shop, and thats when i realized it was all fubar. question...i've got access to a 85 2wd frame ( extended cab...long bed i think).. am i askin for trouble to switch frames? my other thoughts are to cut off said hangers and fab some up and deal with the bent frame accordingly....just lookin for some advice...should have some picts if that would help thanks...
ben
po'runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Visa Master

Member # 8649
Front or rear half of frame??? the 2wd frame is IFS up front...so you'd have to do a SAS basically...

Is it driveable?? How bad??? Take it to a shop and see if you can get a pro's opinion on letting them mount it on their machine to straighten the frame...
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2002, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11444
Send a message via AIM to po'runner Send a message via Yahoo to po'runner
its the whole frame, and i figured the SAS stuff, i was just wondering about how everything mounted up....as far as driving it, i drove it directly to my friend's shop...thats where i noticed everything....has real bad wheel hop on the passenger side...the passenger side frame rail got kicked down an inch or so...and the spring hanger got bent back and down an half inch or so....i didnt notice the frame damage till i looked at the rear shackles...one was normal, the other was kicked back another 15 degrees or so...so go figure.

as far as the other stuff...i'm lookin into that, and that's probably what i'll end up doing, right now i'm just trying to figure what to do with it...i was planning on takin it into the shop next week anyways....but this put a hold on everythign because money that was goin to gears/lockers/wheels is now goin to getting back to driving condition...she's my daily driver and being on a college budget i'm really trying to keep my down time to a minimum

btw....completely totaled the car i hit...89 honda civic....didnt even touch the frame of it...everything above the rear bumper is in the rear seat....below the bumper is still ok.....it was raining and i was coming to a stop and the brakes locked up...tried to steer around it, but to no avail...
po'runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11474
me and my friend is just about to do the same thing in a day or two. I'll let you know how it turns out.
dunehopper027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12598
85 4runner frame

I have an85 frame in Louisiana for sale.
blt2rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8565
Take it to any good body repair shop they can put in on a car aligner and pull the frame back in shape no worries. A friend of mine jumped his pickup and kinked the frame about a foot behind the front spring hanger and a body shop fixed it and that was about 2 years ago and he has had no probs with it bending again since. Cost him $400 Aus.

The 2wd frame will be too long to fit under the 4 runner anyway and all the body mounts behind the front seats will need to be made up.

I think it would end up costing you more to do the frame swap than it would to fix what you have.

www.werockaustralia.com

SAVE THE HAMMERS Post #749

Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
RUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 10379
would probably be easier to fix what you got.
fabricator is offline   Reply With Quote