22re stand alone wiring harness - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18242
22re stand alone wiring harness

Got a question, I'm attempting to do my first harness for my buggy. I have read the 22re convertion in facts about 20 times, but I have a 88 motor already EFI I just want the wires to make it run I will run switches for everything else. Can someone that has done a stand alone harness tell me what wires you used? How many were there? I am sick, I'v been
messing with these wires for the past 3 weeks please help me!!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 84551
Lightbulb

cntact megasquirt and they can help you.there kit is way cheep and alows you to delete a lot of crap...
hardlinecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24377
Send a message via Yahoo to Dickdog
I've done a 85 efi in a 79 and made my own harness using factory wiring..... I known 88 has only one connector at the ECU ....would love to help you out. I 'm looking for a wiring diagram right now. the basic would be

1 12v power to ECU
2 12v ignition switched power to ECU
3 ground to ECU

the mass airflow switches the fuel pump on buy grounding a relay.

does any out there have a conector pin print out of a 88 ecu?

Buildup thread [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540218[/url]

[CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Lime"]I wheel toyotas and fix jeeps for a living!
[SIZE="6"]JV #589[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"]I read more than I post!!! [/SIZE][CENTER][/CENTER]
Dickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
megasquirt has a pinup diagram on their site http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti...oyota_22re.htm
Old 01-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 47035
Send a message via AIM to Intrepidyota
Quote:
joey ended up laying out the hole harness on the floor and cutting everything out that we dont need in the engine harness. the truck ran off of 4 wires. he did all of the work in about 4 hours. i guess thats why we call him the toyota ninja. her is a pic of the engine with the all the wires that it needs to run. still have to cut a few and shorten.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=412927&page=6

So you might try asking Homegrown or avery if you can track him down, he hasn't been here in over a year.

[QUOTE=xjemily;9797675]The last thing i want to do is read a three page thread about a bunch a dudes claiming to be swinging, threesome having ass masters with no photographic evidence.[/QUOTE]
Intrepidyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 17544
I did a motor swap into my 83 with an 88. I found out that all other efi's are pretty much the same, except for the 88. The 88 is like the problem child when it comes to the wiring. There are subtle differences, and that's the problem. There are differences when it comes to this wiring. What I ended up doing was using the toyota factory wiring diagrams for the 88 specific and got it figured out. Fortunately I knew someone who had these books and I did not have to purchase them from toyota because they were like 100 bucks a book!!! Good luck, but definitely keep it 88 specific.

Friends Of the High Lakes
Cal4wheel
BRC
Tread Lightly
porterwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 18242
All right, I got my harness stripped and put back on the motor,and it does have 3 plugs at comp. But I got a couple questions. The stoplight switch wire what do I wire it into? Somehow I stripped the starter relay out, were do I put it back in at? Do I need all the fuses in the panel that is behind the driver kick panel, and I have 2 wires that come from the comp. and splice into the EFI relay, but 4 wires come from the relay witch ones do I use and what do I do with the others?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 72468
man....it sounds like you are in knee deep without a shovle. here is what you need to do...

First off. Find a in depth wiring diagram if you havent already. Factory is the best but kind of hard to come by unless you or someone you know has a manual. The best thing i have found to do is go find an auto shop that has either alldata or mitchel-on-demand. I found that mitchel has better diagrams. ask them to print you a diagram for the entire chassis and one for the engine managment. some places will do it for free but just be ready to throw down a few bucks. i think i paid like 10 last time i had to do this.

next. your going to pull all of the wires from the ecu (computer). Basicly any wire that comes from those three connectors your going to want to keep. Use your diagrams as reference as you go along.

That should get you started. And a tip that will save lots of time and money. Dont cut any closer than 3 inches to a conector...just incase you have to splice it back in, so you have enough wire to work with.

[url]WWW.SHROCKWORKS.COM[/url]

97 Tacoma- Ol' Man Camper Rig
96 runner - Baby Mobile
texasammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 53319
have you thought about an fsm? www.ncttora.com
Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 154515
im doing a 22re swap in my 85 toyota and was wondering how i can get it running all i have is the ecu and engine harness. i just want it to start.
90whitexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Search for the 22R-22RE swap thread by Iseloz.

If you have a later 22RE, search under Pietro's username. He posted up some good wiring diagrams.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 109693
I just finished my '91 today. Gimme a couple days and I'll have my write up done. Feel free to PM me with questions. There's very little info. out there.
ksp04031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 147955
I have an 85 that was previously carbed. I think the intake plenum is an 89 because the egr plug running off it. And every wire is stock from a running 85 22re. I tore the harness apart and re-spliced all the factory crap. Had to splice in a few plugs, but check continuity on everything I did. I'm an aircraft mechanic and I'm very familiar with electrical, but I mostly deal with AC not DC I have everything hooked up. I have fuel and spark, but it won't start....???? I've been checking resistance throughout the ignition circuit. I'm lost I don't have a timing light and I played with the distributor quite a bit. I have 85 instrument cluster, steering columb, ecu. Checked and rechecked vaccuum lines and plugs for good connection. All grounds are good. distributor was 180 out but fixed that and still nothing. Unless timing is that sensitive, I am lost...
Any ideas?
sucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 31873
We got a guy here in Ga on the TTORA boards that goes by Yotaman that built a complete harness.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...d.php?t=130653
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
I need a garage.

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
I have an 85 that was previously carbed. I think the intake plenum is an 89 because the egr plug running off it. And every wire is stock from a running 85 22re. I tore the harness apart and re-spliced all the factory crap. Had to splice in a few plugs, but check continuity on everything I did. I'm an aircraft mechanic and I'm very familiar with electrical, but I mostly deal with AC not DC I have everything hooked up. I have fuel and spark, but it won't start....???? I've been checking resistance throughout the ignition circuit. I'm lost I don't have a timing light and I played with the distributor quite a bit. I have 85 instrument cluster, steering columb, ecu. Checked and rechecked vaccuum lines and plugs for good connection. All grounds are good. distributor was 180 out but fixed that and still nothing. Unless timing is that sensitive, I am lost...
Any ideas?
Are you getting spark to the plugs?
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
I need a garage.

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoRunner View Post
We got a guy here in Ga on the TTORA boards that goes by Yotaman that built a complete harness.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...d.php?t=130653
WOW, he knows how to strip a harness down for sure lol. SICK sick sick sick sick.
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 147955
getting spark to each plug, the wires are installed in the correct order. I've gone over the easy misses a few times.
sucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 31873
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlnYota33 View Post
Can someone that has done a stand alone harness tell me what wires you used? How many were there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
WOW, he knows how to strip a harness down for sure lol. SICK sick sick sick sick.
Hey he wanted to know someone that could help. I gave him info. Its a hellva lot more than he had.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 153213
is there any market for a motor-only rebuilt harness(stripped down factory harness with no cracked wires and all of the clips fully intact)...... i have access to a bunch of harnesses, and know a thing or 2 about wiring.........
turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 35699
i thought i saw a thread were a guy would make a factory harness stand alone for 250 anyone know who that was?
scottiebobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 147955
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotoys View Post
is there any market for a motor-only rebuilt harness(stripped down factory harness with no cracked wires and all of the clips fully intact)...... i have access to a bunch of harnesses, and know a thing or 2 about wiring.........
My garage...
Old 05-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
At one point I thought about making stripped down harnesses, kind of like my own competition. After realising how many different combinations/differences in sensors, harnesses, and computers,it wasn't worth it from a business standpoint. The tech support would be unimaginable.

Bulletproof, complete propane kits for carbureted offroad and street vehicles.
Please visit our website for details or call with any questions. 480-430-8033

Free shipping on complete kits!

www.gotpropane.com

Check us out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/gotpropane?
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 107909
just plug everything in you can, label all your wires at the comp., tear all the loom off the harness, then start tracing wires to their source and delete them as needed. you'll end up with 3 or 4 power wires to be wired to a keyed power and fused along with stock efi relay, and 2 ground wires. you'll need to shorten a few wires also. i have done it a bunch and it is simple.
brian l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 189113
is this dead? or can someone build me a harness?
Travy is offline   Reply With Quote