Pirate 4x4 banner

*-j-rOds 85 Trail Roach*

85K views 240 replies 71 participants last post by  mystikk27 
#1 ·
Figured Id start a build thread now that I have enough done to warrant one...

Started with an 85 reg cab toy that I bought from a coworker, it had a fresh 22r, weber38, LC engineering header and exhaust, 3 inch procrap lift and 32s. I sold the bed, tires and wheels off of it and started doing work. First job was to get rid of the awful paint, so I scuffed it up and shot it with some krylon khaki rattle cans. Next was to swap in a IFS rear, do a 1 inch roger brown body lift, 2 inch spacers on the front and some sky boomerang shackles, all of which i did at my house in the driveway. I already had a set if 36x12.5 tsl sxs and some 5.29 thirds with a detroit in one so tires and gears were taken care of. Next was to gather parts to do 63 chevy rears, 3" trail mart front springs and shock hoops, skys front hanger, chevy swap kit and ubolt flips, Kongs hi steer arms, Shakerbuilt draglink and tie rod, all pro rock sliders, warn 9.5 ti, and dual cases. Got all of the parts together and got time to get out to a buds shop this past weekend and get the suspension and steering done. Still have to order shocks prolly gonna go with a set of 14" bilsteins, Weld on the sliders, order a budbuilt xmember and install the duals, and get a tube flatbed and exo done so I can keep a windshield in it when i happen to flop it on the trail. Anyhoo heres the pics so far, enjoy.

easy

-j-rOd:smokin::grinpimp:

Attachments

See less See more
#124 ·
I may eventually build some kind of traction bar off of the rear axle just to protect the driveshaft some and to prevent any spring wrap that could happen... but thatll be in the future a ways unless i start having problems with the rear springs sooner...

thanks for the props, but i definitely cant take credit for the ideas...everything i did in this build was learned here... :grinpimp:

#126 ·
whoa! nice fist!:laughing:
i say yes on the twinstick, i love 'em. i run 2wd everywhere right up until i know i'll need to put it in 4wd. keeps the stress off the drivetrain, and for rigs without hydro assist makes it easier to steer. the fist would make a nice shifter knob.:D

#128 ·
Just picked up a set of weld on beadlocks from copperhead fab this week... probably am going to order a set if 15x8s with @ 3"BS from scummit sometime in the future to put them on... pics to come of the lock rings, they should turn out prett bitchin with the design that James cut in them... :grinpimp:

#129 · (Edited)
Got the beadlocks delivered yesterday from a bud on his way through town. Set one on the rim of my 85 xcab just to get a visual... Can wait to get these things on the trail rig along with the other $800 in parts that are sitting on my garage floor in boxes... anyhoo heres a pic for shitz n grins... Gonna hit the outer rings with a grinder today to radius the tire side of the ring and get rid of a little bit of slag etc, then hit them with some self etching primer and then a coat of sealing primer until i can find the paint im gonna use. I know a bunch of yall arent fans of the big outer rings but I think they will be fine with the drainholes that are cut in them... :grinpimp::evil:

easy

-j-rOd

Attachments

#130 ·
Quick update: Got a line on a $100 set of 8 inch steel wheels for the weld on beadlocks. Picked up a third with US Gear 5.29s and a lockright for $200, gonna throw this in the front when i put the longs in. Also have a Davez Twin stick on the way as well... Hopefully gonna be able to get out and work on my junk the first weekend of june and wheel it some... the damn things been sitting since the end of Feb when i last broke it... :grinpimp:

#135 ·
Is FIST still traveling in style in his pimp ass stealth time machine cocoon?

#137 ·
Finally got a chance to work on my junk, managed to strip the front housing and get all of the birf guts out of it, threw in a third i picked up with 5.29s and a lockright as well as 30 spline longs and hubgears. Also put my 36 sxs back on now since i didnt have to worry about the stock birfs leaving town... :grinpimp: Driving with the front locker wasnt as bad as I thought itd be, and itll only get better when the twinstick from davez shows up and I get that installed... anyhoo heres a coupla shitty cell pics... I also had some grass growing in the carpet:laughing: this summer itll def be time to yank the carpet out... its pretty nasty for sure:p

onto teh picxs

-j-rOd

Attachments

#138 · (Edited)
Got a little bit more work done this past weekend... started working on the beadlocks and some other random stuff that needed to be done... One thing that Ive been having problems with is the bolts that hold the tcase mounts to the actual tcase have been vibrating loose so I pulled all of them and loctited them in so hopefully they wont come out anymore.... here are a coupla crappy cell pics of the wheels, anti-coning ring material (1/8" by 1/2" steel strap) and outer rings...

Attachments

#139 ·
Damn dude, that is quite a bit different from your last rig.... You helped me with my yota conversion on tidewatter racing
Where did you move to now? I ended up busting the frame on mine after I got the 355 put in it. Sold everything off of it and scrapped the rest. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Really liking the new rig, I never knew there was a fab shop down there.
I just moved back to MN and my other truck is still in NC till I can get back down there to pick it up, so there won't be any progress on that one in quite a while.
Keep up the good work man.
Nick

#140 ·
Finally got some time to do a lil more work on the rig this past weekend, got the 36s mounted on the beadlocks and on the truck as well as a couple of other knick knack things that needed tidying up... Wheeled it on the farm sat night and ended up losing the plug end of the winch remote for the 9.5ti as well as crushing a solid brake line where it goes into the drivers side caliper. That being said, anybody know if its possible to buy just a plug thatll fit a 9.5ti? and onto a coupla pics of the beadlocks.

easy

-j-rod

Attachments

#144 ·
Thanks! Quick update, got the brakeline fixed and went and beat on the rig some this past weekend. Had to drive it to get fuel about 8 miles one way and it surprisingly doesnt drive bad at all except for death wobble between 35 and 40 both accelerating and decelerating. The tires have zero weight on them and are just centered via eyeballing them so Im definitely pleased that its at least driveable if need be. You just have to make sure and accelerate quickly from 35-40 so the wobble wont be bad. :grinpimp: and before anybody asks, yes the steering arms, steering box, tre's, both ends of the springs and shackles, and wheel bearings are tight. Im fairly sure that the worn out shackle tube bushings and unbalanced tires are causing the DW and have new bushings for the shackles as well as a set of other tires to drive on the street so its not a huge issue.

easy

-j-rOd

#145 ·
Quick project update: Been collecting a few parts here and there for the rig. Hope to get some time after KOH to get them on the rig. :grinpimp:

TG motor mounts, Davez twin sticks, and a Long Chromo Output :smokin:

Attachments

#147 ·
Got a smokin deal on it new never installed from a guy that got it as extra parts from a buggy he bought. Figured it couldnt hurt to have laying around if i need it and if/when i ever build a 4.7 rear case itll definitely be goin in to provide another level of idiot-proofness:laughing::D

#148 ·
heyman nice build very tasteful. ive been reading up on toyotas and builds as much as possible since im stillin the learning stage and after you saying how you learned pretty much everything reading you inspired me to create a pirate account. i igure i wont get flamed since i only have a mildly modified yota at the moment as long as i admit im here only to learn so thank you for the build thread the more knowledge the better and you def left a few ideas stuck in my brain. again nice build and thanks for the details. maybe someday when im no longer a student and have a full time garage and job to make my build happen ill see you out on the trails.

#151 · (Edited)
few quick updates...

Got a TG 4.7 gearset for the tcase from John at Kajobuilt, set of triple flanges and some marlin tcase seals and threw that all together, also picked up a 5.29 and master install kit with solid spacer to go on my spool. Gonna set that up and put it in the back and move the detroit up front. Also wheeled some at a buds farm where we started building a rock garden out of some crushed concrete, and other misc pipes. Need to find time to work on this thing, hopefully next month sometime ill be able to dedicate a weekend to putting all of the new parts on it. Heres a few pics since everybody always asks for them..:D

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.